Aftermarket A/C

-

JoseyWales

Reaction score
Anyone running aftermarket a/c in their early A? I am currently shopping for a/c for my 65 Dart any suggestions?

There are several aftermarket A/C "kits". First question, what motor do you have. Next do you need just A/C, or A/C and heat/defrost? In dash unit, or hang underdash?

:read2: I have seen Vintage Auto Air with a bolt in kit. Or was it Classic Auto Air? I wonder if i could piece something together a little cheaper though. When u do decide, i would like to see what u used and how it works.

One thing I can tell you for sure, a 69 or older "A" body with a slant six, will give you problems with the compressor mount kits currently available. I am presently building a slant six compressor mount and drive kit, that will work on these engines/cars, with out modifing the radiator, or radiator support. It will work w/wo power steering, stock manifolds, Offie 4 bbl intake, Clifford shorty headers. The prototype is done, and out to a fab shop for estimate, on pricing.

No one sells street rod or custom mounts for sbmopars? That sucks, are you going to let us have a peak at your finished bracketry? I love fabrication, I have been looking at a southern air unit for my street rod, I think they would install nicely in an early or any A-body.

Small side question, Clifford shortys, where would someone find information on those? Thanks.

I am running a 318 in the 65 dart. The wife says for her to ride with me in the summer its going to need a/c. I am basically after a unit that is complete and easy to install. I have a 66 parts car that is factory a/c, I had thought about a swap but that sure seems like alot of work.

I am running a 318 in the 65 dart. The wife says for her to ride with me in the summer its going to need a/c. I am basically after a unit that is complete and easy to install. I have a 66 parts car that is factory a/c, I had thought about a swap but that sure seems like alot of work.

You're not going to find a bolt on unit other than the factory system. These cars don't really exsist in the minds of the after market A/C people.

If you're looking to put an aftermarket system in an early A, that write-up is the best and pretty much only info you're going to find. The only difference between the install on a /6 and a smallblock is the bracketry for the compressor, the mounting location for everything (including compressor) is about the same.

Good luck, I'm planning on adding A/C to my Valiant at some point down the road too.

Since I had a complete factory air setup from a 66 Dart that I parted out, I decided to add "factory air" to my 65 GT. I cut the firewall out of the 66 to use in the 65. After really comparing the AC and non-AC firewalls, the real major difference was the size of the blower motor opening since AC cars use a bigger blower motor. Lesser issues were the openings for the AC lines and mounting holes for the housings. Decided the best way to mount everything was to install the underdash units first before tackling the blower area. I made a template for all the holes, double checked everything several times and drilled the firewall for the mounting holes and used the appropriate size hole saws for the AC lines (2 different size holes). Then I cut enough of the firewall so the AC blower would fit thru the firewall. Bolt the units in place then carefully fit a large enough section of the blower AC firewall to my non-AC firewall. Once I was satisfied everything fit properly, the transplanted section of firewall for the blower was welded in place. Both underdash units mount and fit like they were born with AC. The only other issue I've found is the junction block area for the wiring. Non-AC cars were mounted vertically - factory AC cars were horizontal. I've fit my wiring harness but it's a real tight fit, so am going to change the opening to horizontal. Yes it all can be a little work, but it will all look factory and all factory parts will fit as advertised. Would I do it again - I'm a glutton for punishment - starting to do the same thing on a 65 Dart wagon (wife said she has to have air in the summer - late model cars/vans have sure spoiler her lol)

The hardest thing to find was the 65 dash bezel for factory air - the 66 is totally different, making the 65 a one year only deal.

do you still have the 66 ac /heat bezel and or related dash parts for that 66 dart? I'm adding Air to my 66 dart and would like it to look at least semi stock in appearance.. thanks

-
Back