aftermarket cluster and gauges??

-

mopow3r

Reaction score
im looking to do an aftermarket cluster with gauges in my 72 duster, i was wondering if anyone has done one in their a body and if so, thoughts on what is the best? prices? and if anyone has any pics it would be greatly appreciated! thanks! -Jeremy

There is a guy on EBAY that sells complete kits running anywhere from $450 to $750 depending on what style of gauges.

Peak Dashes makes the nicest. You can use whatever gauges you want if you are looking in the after market. I am fabbing my own.

I fabbed my own using Equus gauges. I spent under $300 for everything including tachometer. They come with a twist on ring mount that makes it easy to install. You have to order one separately for the tach since it does not come with one. The speedometer uses the factory cable but it must be the earlier threaded kind. I used one from a '67 Valiant or 'Cuda. Haven't run the car yet but the temp, volt, and fuel gauge work fine after powering them up manually. After this pic was taken I have since added headlite switch, wiper switch, turn signal and hi-beam indicators. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• Dash pic 3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,248
i cut the whole face out of my dash and fab'd a whole new dash face with auto meter gauges.

102_0135.jpg

102_0136.jpg

I fabbed my own using Equus gauges. I spent under $300 for everything including tachometer. They come with a twist on ring mount that makes it easy to install. You have to order one separately for the tach since it does not come with one. The speedometer uses the factory cable but it must be the earlier threaded kind. I used one from a '67 Valiant or 'Cuda. Haven't run the car yet but the temp, volt, and fuel gauge work fine after powering them up manually. After this pic was taken I have since added headlite switch, wiper switch, turn signal and hi-beam indicators. Here's a pic.

What did you use as a base? Looks like an original cluster that has been modified.

this is my home made dash for autometer gauges.just waiting for the rest and switches

Attachments

• 100_2281.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,228
Yes I used an original cluster. Got a sheet of thin gauge steel from Home Depot and cut to fit.

Have not used it but looks kinda cool if you want to go digital

INTELLITRONIX "CREATE-A-DASH" DIGITAL INSTRUMENT KIT

CREATE CUSTOM LOOK!!! LIFE-TIME WARRANTY!!!

Just Google it

WOW!! any chance you could pm me some details?

I did pretty much the same thing except i used a carbon fiber insert panel and Speedhut gauges. I started with a Fastlane West insert but I thought it was junk so I went this route. credit another member for my inspiration.
sorry for the lousy pic! -pauly

Attachments

• 7-22-12 038_1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,177
This is exactly what Im looking to do! I would love a all metal housing but cant spend $400 on just a dash from Peak Dashes.

I believe these com from Mancini, looks like a nice piece.

Attachments

• chucker54_2187_17963290.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,188
If you go to my 73 duster restoration by R BEE on the restoration form go to
page 5 you will see the Ebay dash with lights. It is a plastic insert that has a brushed look about it. All the wiring came with it but I had a friend help me wire it.
R BEE

Don't mean to thread jack but what shifted do you have, seems to fit nice in your console.

shfter started out as a b & m quick silver. i took it apart and made my own shaft to put the handle where it felt comfy for me.

DSCI0318.jpg

Photo001.jpg

I made my own out of a factory cluster. Check out my build thread in my signature for details/pictures. It cost me less than $500, including having a machine shop cut the holes for the gauges.

I recommend making your own. It's a cool little project.

-Mike

To R Bee and 73swingerbuild

R Bee, how is the glare at night with the turn signals and high beam? From your pic in your build thread it seems to have a awful lot of glare although that may be the angle

73, Im looking at doing that same type of thing. What size gauges did you use and what did you cut the hole size to? Also how did you attach the flat panel to the existing plastic frame?

-
Back