Aftermarket Dash & Gauges Help

-

KP

Reaction score
If anyone has put aftermarket gauges in their dash cluster and has a diagram or drawing of how they wired what where along with what connectors they used I would appreciate and be thankful for the help.

Thank You,
KP

FIRST ________________________ "what is it" that we are working on?

I gather it is not a 1943 Supermarine Spitfire?

detail_spitfire_ix_33.jpg

Next question is, "what do you have for wiring," that is factory harness, some sort of aftermarket harness, or "did it" yourself?"

If you have a factory harness, you can tie into the old cluster connector(s) All you need then, is a shop manual / wiring diagram to figure what goes to where.

That, coupled with the destructions for your aftermarket "stuff"

Meanwhile, start (if you don't have) by downloading the shop manual you need from MyMopar. By the way, some of those manuals came from the guys here at FABO

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

That can be a can of worms. :D
Senders, compatibility of the two types, adapters and connections.

I run mechanicals for oil pressure and temp, and a simple volt meter along with a tach, Air/fuel ratio and aftermarket fuel gauge, flip down from the roof Kindle fire touch screen tied into the stereo and wireless internet.

Point is, there are more than a few of us that can help when we know the specifics of the application and changes you want to make and with what.

I believe he is working on a dash replica of the space shuttle of 1981... can anyone help?

ran a common ground, senders separately and used their senders with exception to the tach which goes right to the MSD. , then the switched power came from the key and the light switch.

Everything is hooked with quick connects so you can pull the dash out easy if you had to.

Attachments

• 10354954_10204960777848583_3154114383600923141_n.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 283
ran a common ground, senders separately and used their senders with exception to the tach which goes right to the MSD. , then the switched power came from the key and the light switch.

Everything is hooked with quick connects so you can pull the dash out easy if you had to.

Would you be able to help trouble shoot once I get started?

Where can I buy thequick connects?

If you don't mind cutting the connectors off your factory harness there are hundreds of connectors you can use, Molex is popular. We still don't know...............? what it is you are working on...........

1971 Duster

Very good. All you really need if you have a factory wiring harness is the wiring diagrams, to show the cluster connector and wire colors

This link, "71 Plymouth Chassis manual"

mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1971_Plymouth_Chassis_Service_Manual.zip

This gets a bit irritating because the scan of that particular book no longer uses original page numbers

The wiring diagram index is page 368 which is originally 8-147

Notice "instrument panel wiring" for standard and Rallye clusters so I'm guessing Valiant, page ---8- 160--161---. In the reader this is page no 381

Here is part of what you need:

16h974z.jpg

This is looking at the connector on the PC board not the wire harness so you'll have to look at the REAR of the harness connector and watch wire colors

Example, find the temp gauge and the "S" terminal and follow that wire over. Notice it says "G2--18V" that is "circuit G2," it's a no 18 wire and VIOLET

I chopped off the diagram the fuel is DARK BLUE going off the bottom of the photo Follow the "S" terminal of the fuel gauge, it's G4--18DBL, meaning "Dark BLue"

Your oil sender wire is G6-18GY, meaning GreY. Now that is presently being used (non Rallye) for a warning LAMP but you can certainly re-purpose that wire for your new oil gauge wire

67Dart273,
When I saw his question I ABSOLUTELY KNEW that the first response would be you asking him what he was working on. You beat me to it. LMAO.

Very good.
All you really need if you have a factory wiring harness is the wiring diagrams, to show the cluster connector and wire colors

This link, "71 Plymouth Chassis manual"

mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1971_Plymouth_Chassis_Service_Manual.zip

This gets a bit irritating because the scan of that particular book no longer uses original page numbers

The wiring diagram index is page 368 which is originally 8-147

Notice "instrument panel wiring" for standard and Rallye clusters so I'm guessing Valiant, page ---8- 160--161---. In the reader this is page no 381

Here is part of what you need:

16h974z.jpg

This is looking at the connector on the PC board not the wire harness so you'll have to look at the REAR of the harness connector and watch wire colors

Example, find the temp gauge and the "S" terminal and follow that wire over. Notice it says "G2--18V" that is "circuit G2," it's a no 18 wire and VIOLET

I chopped off the diagram the fuel is DARK BLUE going off the bottom of the photo Follow the "S" terminal of the fuel gauge, it's G4--18DBL, meaning "Dark BLue"

Your oil sender wire is G6-18GY, meaning GreY. Now that is presently being used (non Rallye) for a warning LAMP but you can certainly re-purpose that wire for your new oil gauge wire

Thank for the help!

-
Back