Aftermarket radios?

-

Aaron65

Reaction score
My '65 Dart gets a little boring without a working radio. Right now, there's an original AM radio in the dash, but even if it worked, I'd still be just as bored.

I'd like to put an aftermarket radio in, but there aren't too many places to do it, it seems. It was an original air conditioning car (even though it's missing most of that stuff), so attaching it in a separate box under the dash doesn't seem like it will work too well because the heater box takes up a ton of space under there (the air vents are missing too, however). I don't love the idea of hacking the dash plate, but I'm not sure originality matters much on a beat up Dart wagon. Anyone have any good ideas or pictures of how you put a radio in your Dart?

I'm not going for massive sound either, just something!

The glovebox or one of the mp3 converters that hook up to the am radio?

That's the other problem...I'm still a CD guy...I haven't entered the 21st century. I still have a 10-year-old Tracfone for emergencies.

I considered the glovebox...I wonder if it's big enough for a radio.

Use an under dash box. You can paint them to match the dash and they look sano.

Attachments

• 100_5440.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 328
You might look into something like this. It could be mounted under the front seat.

http://www.classiccarstereos.com/product/Secretaudio-SST/SST-System.html

SecretAudioSystem.jpg

Not sure how big the controls are but I though it might be neat to fab up a way to hide it in the ash tray.

I have secret audio in the barracuda. The main unit is under the pass seat, with 6x9 speakers in box's on the rear floor. The control unit is mounted with Velcro under the dash, so it can be hidden at shows. You can also get a disc changer form them, I have one and plug it in when I use it.

I bought one of the units that is AM/FM/SD card like they use for motorcycles, put it in the glove box and added an antenna jack so I was able to hide an antenna in the passenger A pillar.....

Thanks to all...

I'll look into these this summer. I have used the underdash box before, but the defrost tubes take up a lot of space under the dash, and I have some underdash gauges too. The glovebox looks pretty shallow. I may have to go with the underseat deal...

Not trying to hijack here but anyone have pics of radio's in the glove box? I have a Pioneer deck I want to install and obviously don't want to mount it under the dash..

I'm going through the same thing with my 72 Duster right now, it seems like the only affordable and easy option for me is to cut the dash for a new CD player. All other options seem really pricey or not very user friendly, I like the radio in the dash where it looks good and it's easy to reach.

-
Back