Aftermarket speedometer

-

Swingn’71

Reaction score
Would anyone know the rpm of the speedo cable @ 65 mph on a 833 trans ?? The aftermarket speedo (mechanical) wants 1000 rpm @ 65 mph. Has anyone tested or done this ?? (Autometer) speedo. Any help would be great....Thanks..swingn’

if im not mistaken, you also need to factor in the gear ratio and the rear tire circumference

The tire diameter, rear gear ratio determine at what speed that 1000 rpm will happen at. No difrent than any other speedometer.

It can all be calculated if you know the rest tire die the rear axle ratio, the number of teeth on the output shaft and the number of teeth on the speedo gear

Real world testing... knowing the current gear number of teeth you can drive at a speed, and see what your speedo reads, at the same time what does a GPS read. The speedo and the GPS will make a ratio and that will be the number to use to calculate the new gear teeth. Might be smaller or it might be greater number if teeth.

To make speedo read faster fewer teeth then you have now
To make speedo read slower more teeth than you have now

There are many threads on FABO some even have equations.

all speedos show 65(?) @ the same 1000 RPM of cable, its what rear rear does with those RPM's. so a Ford would work on a Dodge, etc. Even my Lexus fly by wire speedo has that printed on the back. I believe its a standard. 833 at 1:1 that is. 4th or 3rd if O/D

Yes, Got it guys. Thanks A bunch. Also picked up some great info from a speedo place autometer hooked me up with. Guy named Roger will post the name of the place later on..Thanks again...Swingn’

-
Back