Aftermarket Stereos - Alternate Mounting Locations

-

Hot Rod 63 Valiant

Hot Rodder
Reaction score
After doing a search, I have not seen a thread about this. My wife wants a modern aftermarket stereo in our 63 Valiant, & I do not want to cut on that pretty all original unmolested dash it has, I'm actually going to leave the original A/M radio in it that still works as we still have quite a few A/M stations in the area.

I have thought about somewhere under the dash, in the glove box, under the seat, having a custom floor console made, etc. I thought it would be helpful for me & anyone else who wants to do the same thing if everyone who has installed an aftermarket stereo in their car could share where they mounted theirs. Pics would be greatly appreciated if possible.

Thanks,
Rob

I don't have any pics handy, but I mounted mine in the trunk. I mostly listen to music from my ipod, so I just ran a long mini-plug cord back to the trunk. I can change songs and the volume right from the ipod...

Just install an aux jack in your factory AM and stab in an MP3 player with the beats you want, when you want, and disconnect it when you want to hear the submarine races. Plus, easy to take the MP3 player with you so no thieving D-bag has an incentive to violate your ride.

I got an HD Radio Tuner for my old Mopars off ebay ~$20 ea. They have a thin faceplate w/ cord you can mount many places, plus a remote control. They also pickup regular stations. You need a stereo amp between it and the speakers, but those are common and can be mounted many places.

Secretaudio under the front seat. Hand held remote you can put under the seat when not in use.

I have put a few in trunk, I use a infared system they use in boats. One sensor is hidden in the dash with a wire running to the trunk and dropped down in front of the stereo. The remote does it all, just point it at the dash and choose your tunes or radio etc
AL

glove box is nice and easy pretty much all new head units come with a remote so all hidden nice and easy

-
Back