Aftermarket Stereos

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Ok it's almsot time to start thinking about some tunes in the Duster.

So far the plan is the nice kickpanals with speaker molds from secret audio. And a set of 6x9's in the parcel tray. Now for some sort of deck.

Now My rallye cluster has had some trimming in the radio department already but the steel frame has not. Will any cd players fit the steel frame without cutting and who thinks it would be sacrelige?

The cd player in the glovebox is just a pain I cant hang it under the dash due to gauges. The othe roption is secret audio's changed but I'd much rather have a single dic player within reach.

Any suggestions/pictures

I`d like to hear what people are doing about this quandry too. I finally got a factory indash am/fm for my car. It`s nice to have the fm, but boy does that 5 watts (?) suck through that 4 x 10. I`d like to put something new in without cutting door panels or the dash.

Personnally I can't stomach cutting up the dash or any panels. I have a '68 B'cuda Fastback, I mounted my player in the glove box; I control it with a remote. My speakers are mounted out of the way behind the back seat in that cargo type area. I upgraded the speaker in the dash, forgot the wattage sounds decent for what it's worth. My car has a beefy rumble, so music to me is secondary; the sound of my car is first. Peace

There aren't any CD players that can be put in without hacking the dash. I bought a Kenwood AM/FM cassette for my duster. Yeah,I know, casettes? But with that engine noise can you really tell the difference? I know I can't. Besides with some shopping I got my head unit and 6x9 speakers for under $100. And it sounds pretty darn good. I had a bunch of new 90 minute cassettes laying around, and I put some of my favorite vinyl (yes vinyl) down on them. It definitely seems like the 70's all over again.

don

I have a cd player in the glove box with 6*9's in the package tray. The original am/fm is still in the dash and unless you open the glove box you would not know any better

i think as long as you do a good job of cutting the dash i don't see a problem with it..... my dad and i cut the dash i mean its just 2 little pieces that you have to get rid of..... i had a jensen CD player in the dash but ended up taking it out hopefully soon im gonna have my pioneer premier in there.... and in all reality if it looks good i don't see a problem with it ya know plus i have 6x9 in the package tray i am putting a 12'' sub in the back( which i won't really be able to hear over my exhaust) but it sounds good and i have some old door panels that i am experimenting with but what i am attempting to do is cut the back of the door panel off.... the cardboard piece and slide the speakers in under the original vinyl cover that way you would never be able to tell they are there unless you look very close... ill let you all know how that works out when i finish

Well cutting my 35 year old parcel tray wont make my cry too much but upfront I am undecided. Like I said Secret audio has the kickpanals for an a-body that has the speaker holes nicely moulded in.

I can't even put a stock radio in my car as I have a rallyedash for a thumbwheel radio and My dash frame is for a knob radio. -Anyone wanna trade?-

I like the secret audio changer best it goe sin the truck and has a wireless battery powered face place that sticks anywhere and the changed is also a head unit and am/fm... Just its expensive and someone else has to make such a thing cheaper.

has anyone tried fitting something into a center console?

I only got a Sony AM/FM cassette player in the Duster. It has rca hookus for other stuff if I ever want to put in a cd player. Just use the FM of the radio most the time. I do have alot of car tunes on cassette when I get tired of listening to the sound of the car. Not to often!!

I have a 3hour drive always alone to get to any shows etc so the engine is nice but when you start talking to yourself its not good.

I'm young so everything I own is on cd... and a cd burne ron the computer sort of makes a cassette useless to me. Doe sanyone have pcitures of their setups? cassette or not?

when i get my interior put back together which should be in the next couple of weeks ill take some pictures and post them.... since i am posting my progress anyways ill get some of the radio and everything... it doesn't look bad at all but i know its the fact of cutting up the dash that is in your thought.... by the way where is it that you said had the kickpanels with the speakers in them that would be a nice addition

I mounted my "head unit" a Pioneer AM/FM CD Supertuner;

Under the dash, in the same loaction I had my FM/8 Track player,
under the dash in 1976-77.
The size of both units is about the same,LOL.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8rFIt3tSQhg/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=underdash&i=120999000

h120999000.jpg

don't know what your budget is on this ,but have you ever considered takeing the factory radio and converting it to stereo? it is kinda pricey (400.00 i think?), but you get the best of both worlds. the factory radio can be made into stereo with an , xm satallite connection, cd connection, tape connection and will direct connect to the factory harness. it will have all the modern digital innards with the same outside. push buttons even still work and no static (digital tuner). wattage is 180 watts, or 90 per channel. not a boom box but pretty decent. if not loud enough you can always amp it. i wouldn't cut the dash myself. just some food for thought....

Never seen such a beast, My issue is my rallye bezel and metal dash are wrong for each other the metal frame is for a thumbwheel 1970 and down style.. My dash is a 71' So ment for a knob radio.... would be very expensive for the right cluster

We mounted my son's in the glovebox. I fabbed up a piece that mounts the same as the old liner. His stereo has a remote, but it quit. It's still nto hard to reach the controls. And, yes this is a Dart with a transplanted 67 Barracuda dash.

Stereo panel 05.JPG

Yeah I saw your earlier post now Caveman... My computer for some reason deosn't always refresh properly. I have a gauge cluster under the dash but will look see how much room I have to mount it. I jsut tried bidding on a rallye cluster for my car with no luck again.

Might end up bitieng the bullet and buying one from Laysons. I like how it looks in your Valiant, nice and clean

71Duster said:
Yeah I saw your earlier post now Caveman... My computer for some reason deosn't always refresh properly. I have a gauge cluster under the dash but will look see how much room I have to mount it. I jsut tried bidding on a rallye cluster for my car with no luck again.

Might end up bitieng the bullet and buying one from Laysons. I like how it looks in your Valiant, nice and clean

Thanks, The plastic housing made the job easier.

what about having it under your seat, just extend your wires accordingly to the length needed. Other installs I have done use a 6 or 12 pack cd changer in the trunk with a FM modulated control unit hooked through a radio then controlled by a small face plate mounted on the dash with velcro. Just an idea, hope it helps.

I sorta got the same idea but it was from TV... I watched them build a hemi Dart on Wrecks to Ritches and they put in a Secret audio with a fancy face plat e to fit the radio hole in the dash with a Changer in the trunk... looked slick and no hacking required...

I price dit out the secret audio is the same price a s a good cd deck so I think after I light the 340 off and its runs ok I'll be going that route

I was thinking of putting two 4" or 5" speakers under the dash on a homemade plate and mount them where the 4x10 speaker goes.

Anyone tried this?

My plan is to wire a 3 channel amp in the trunk that will power 2 6x9s and 1 sub. I will put the sub in a free standing box in the trunk. The 6x9s I am thinking I will mount to the underside of the rear sill (depending on the mounting pattern I may fab an adapter).

I am then going to run a line to under the drivers seat that I can plug an MP3 player into. This way I can run all my car audio off of an mp3 player and I don't need to worry about mounting a head unit.

-
Back