Age Old Question

-

peppers

Reaction score
Hi All
The question, do I rebuild a 904 tranny I have or look for a 727 to go behind my newly rebuilt 340, going in my duster?? And are the parts like tail shaft interchangeable?:burnout:
THANKS WAYNE

1 vote for: rebuild your 904 with good parts.

can be built strong enough, lighter quicker and you already own one.

Likewise, the 904 takes less power to turn, = more power at rear wheels.

In the old days I would say 727, but like said now a day a 904 can be made to compete. I do think originally the 340 had a TF 8 behind it.

Rebuild the 904 with good parts and converter and you will be fine, 727's are great too but work with what you have 904's are plenty strong if built correctly so save money and time and have it built right. And yes I have run many 904's behind strong 340's with no problems if built right.

904's have a lower first gear for quicker 60' times if built correctly as stated above...

The 727 is heavier, longer, and stronger. The 904 is lighter and a bit quicker all things being equal. The 904 can be made to hold a 340 or 360. Just do not think you can put your 200,000 mile 904 behind a 340 and expect it to live for very long without at least changing fluid, filter, adjusting the bands, and upping the pressure. Not many parts interchange. That is the short answer.

904's have a lower first gear for quicker 60' times if built correctly as stated above...

Not all 904's have a low gear set. In fact it wasn't until the mid to late 70'sthey started putting the low gear set in them

To the OP, I agree with the others that a 904 is fine if built right and by keeping it a 904 you don't need to replace the driveshaft like you would if you changed to a 727.

Not all 904's have a low gear set. In fact it wasn't until the mid to late 70'sthey started putting the low gear set in them To the OP, I agree with the others that a 904 is fine if built right and by keeping it a 904 you don't need to replace the driveshaft like you would if you changed to a 727.

Thanks the 904 it is, with the right parts. :blob:

im running a 904 behind a 340 strip car, its had work however,
best thing for low cost on a 904 is a alloy deep pan, and a trans cooler
after that its how deep are your pockets?

this past weekend race though i have just lost reverse, 2nd and 3rd!!!!!!!! not happy, but i could have done that with a 727 also

-
Back