aggressive stance

-
Lowering the front is a better way to get that "aggressive stance" without sacrificing all of your handling. The ideal handling will still be if the car is set up "flat", but by lowering the front (instead of raising the rear) you'll lower the center of gravity of the car as well, which by itself would improve handling.

Lowering the front does have its issues though. The torsion bars are pretty simple to adjust, by jacking up the front end and loosening the torsion bar adjuster bolts you'll be able to lower the entire front of the car. This does not effect spring rate or the tension on the torsion bars, but will effect the alignment of the car, especially if you lower it more than about 1". Your problems will come from running out of adjustability on the front alignment if you lower too much. This can be dealt with either by getting an "offset" bushing set (you should replace the stockers anyway) or getting new adjustable upper control arms.

Ideally, you'd go with larger torsion bars up front to help reduce the negative effects on handling. Most mopars were undersprung in the front to begin with, lowering the front puts more weight on the front wheels and will add to that effect. Also, mopars were sprung pretty well in the back, so lifting the rear by adding stiffer springs will also reduce handling, since you'll be oversprung in the rear and way undersprung in the front.

My Challenger, while not an a-body, uses the same idea. I have larger torsion bars in the front with 2" drop spindles, with just regular mopar XHD's in the back. So the rear of the car is about the same height as stock, and the rake is picked up by lowering the nose. It handles much better than it did before, as the spring rates are much better balanced than stock, and the lower CG helps keep it down a little in the corners. The Challenger doesn't look super raked in my signature, but its definitely nose down. As you can see the wheels are in about the same place in the wheel wells front to back, and like the A-bodies from the factory the entire front tire was visible, while the rear was not. Its about 2" lower in the front that stock.

I would like to change the shocks and springs, the car is sagging in the rear, and the shocks in the front are cracking. Where is the spring in the front? I don't understand, is the spring contained in the shock? Anywho, how can I improve it's stance, I want the rear up a little bit to make it look a lil meaner. Let me explain my thoughts. I bought this car to fullfill all of my thoughts on what i have wanted for years. I want a mean, cammed up motor, A six speed manual, a racing inspired interior and the paint whatever color I feel like. I am not following any guidelines, just want a muscle car/hotrod.
You really need to go on ebay, or somewhere, and buy old mopar hipo books.
Then read.

Here's mine. Not agressive but a 70's rake without giant tires. toolman PS, that blue swinger looks tough!!!

Caltrac mono leaf

milan009.jpg
[/IMG]

One more thing, all I've read says don't try to use air shocks to raise it, they aren't meant to support the weight of the car and can cause some major damage.

I ran air shocks for at least 6 years in my old daily driver. I kept them right around 60-70psi and they worked great, handled well and never gave me any problems or damaged anything.

My old 73 Scamp had KYB shocks up front, air shocks in the rear with 340 rear springs and adjustable rear hangers. Daily driver rain, snow/ice or sunny weather.

DSC03710.jpg

DSC03709.jpg

DSC03708.jpg

I ran air shocks for at least 6 years in my old daily driver. I kept them right around 60-70psi and they worked great, handled well and never gave me any problems or damaged anything.

My old 73 Scamp had KYB shocks up front, air shocks in the rear with 340 rear springs and adjustable rear hangers. Daily driver rain, snow/ice or sunny weather.

I was going to have air shocks do the job since it's easier and cheaper until I kept reading about mounts breaking and expensive damage so it scared me off. Maybe they had rusty mounts or something and didn't check first, dunno.

I was going to have air shocks do the job since it's easier and cheaper until I kept reading about mounts breaking and expensive damage so it scared me off. Maybe they had rusty mounts or something and didn't check first, dunno.

Air shocks are fine if they're used as shocks instead of as lifting devices. The problem with air shocks isn't the shocks themselves, its the owners running the pressure in the shocks up to jack up the back of the car. That takes the weight off the springs and puts them on the shocks, and the shock mounts weren't intended for that. If used properly, they shouldn't cause problems.

Air shocks are fine if they're used as shocks instead of as lifting devices. The problem with air shocks isn't the shocks themselves, its the owners running the pressure in the shocks up to jack up the back of the car. That takes the weight off the springs and puts them on the shocks, and the shock mounts weren't intended for that. If used properly, they shouldn't cause problems.

Yeah that's what I hear. But if you shouldn't use air shocks to lift, I'm not sure I'd use them at all in favor of regular shocks, I don't know of any other advantages they have.

Air shocks are good if you tow a lot, they can help raise the car back up and prevent the front end from getting squirrely. 72 bluNblu nailed it though, the problem with breaking mounts is when the shock is inflated so much it transfers the weight of the car on to the shock instead of the leaf springs becoming the suspension and not merely a dampener for the suspension.

What are your intensions? If you just want looks and no handling then just get some air shocks and jack-up the rear. To really get good handling then that should be your highest priority and not just the stance. Your working with torsion bars and leaf springs. To get superior handling will put a dent in your wallet.

cool, i was thinking espo +2", new shocks, torsion bars and sway bar. From what i have read, espo is giving people some problems?

cool, i was thinking espo +2", new shocks, torsion bars and sway bar. From what i have read, espo is giving people some problems?

I read elsewhere online they sent some springs that sagged right away, but most replies to that were espo was good to work with and they would just replace them with no hassle. Don't have experience with them myself though.

Air shocks are good if you tow a lot, they can help raise the car back up and prevent the front end from getting squirrely. 72 bluNblu nailed it though, the problem with breaking mounts is when the shock is inflated so much it transfers the weight of the car on to the shock instead of the leaf springs becoming the suspension and not merely a dampener for the suspension.

I see. If you tow a lot, are you still using air shocks to hold car weight pulled down by a trailer, and is it better to just keep a higher ride with leaf springs?

Sorry if I'm being anal, just paranoid of messing things up if the occasion arises since I'm also a newb at all this.

Hamsterhats,
My car is stock height the only change is tire / rim combo. I also ordered a energy suspension kit and it rides very nice and has a decent stance.

100_2294.jpg

I see. If you tow a lot, are you still using air shocks to hold car weight pulled down by a trailer, and is it better to just keep a higher ride with leaf springs?

Sorry if I'm being anal, just paranoid of messing things up if the occasion arises since I'm also a newb at all this.

A good leaf spring is the right way to go. Chrysler offered a special shock absorber with the towing package that had a coil spring on the shock but again as you mentioned,the best case would be to just have a good leaf spring.

One thing I would like to mention, especially with all the very different opinions here on everything from air-shocks to rake, to TBs or leafs, to drag race / daily driver, etc, etc ... "car handling".

If it was not obvious before, it sure should be obvious by now, that car handling is a very very subjective subject. What is good handling for a daily driver is likely not good handling for a G machine; what is good handling for a drag-race (or street/strip) car is likely not good handling for a street only car, and certainly not good handling for a G machine. And what is good handling to someone who's driving experience has not ever included the likes of a modern day pony car, a BMW, or Infinity G35, etc etc, is likely going to be considered pretty poor handling by someone who has.

So, this I will ask you - "how do YOU define good handling?" ... and I sincerely hope that your answer includes serious thought as to safety, both to others on the road with you, and to yourself and your passengers. With this in mind (the later that is) DON'T use air-shocks, unless you never drive over 50 mph, and only do that on a straight road where it's legal. And don't mess around with your suspension until you're sure it's sound and secure.

Here's an article I just found and read - it seems pretty informative, although the thought's of course are not mine, but are the author's.

http://www.arengineering.com/articles/tbartango.html

I have a 75 Duster, I put lift shackles on it, and air shocks, that gave the rear the aggressive stance I was looking for, I still have to lift the front, but thats easy. I like the lifted mopar look myself, not insane like gasser style, but a good mean lift. And I know, some of you are against shackles, alot of you think air shocks are bad, and your car will lose all control and handeling if you lift it. But I have to say two things. First off, my car still handles great! Second, keep in mind this is old american muscle cars we are talking, so unless your planning on doing some crazy trans am type track racing, and if your going more for looks, do it how you want.

i agree! I ordered load adjusting shocks in the rear, espo +2 springs and standard shocks for the front.

Hamsterhats,
My car is stock height the only change is tire / rim combo. I also ordered a energy suspension kit and it rides very nice and has a decent stance.

100_2294.jpg

I have been following this thread and am enjoying the discussion. I too am fairly new to Mopars and am looking to get the '71 Duster the same stance as Superdart360's sick Dart---I'm lovin' it :tonqe:

Sooo, it begs the question, what size are your wheels & tires, bro.

(Sorry for the thread hijack, but it's topical :D )

-
Back