Ah, What to do????

-

MoparBrit

HillingdonDart
Reaction score
Just sitting here in a quandary on what to do. Please skip this post if you are looking for one with some intrinsic value lol.

Have a now running and driving /6 '71 Dart. Well, will be again as soon as I swap the radiator out today as the old one leaks.

The thing I'm going back and forth about is the '73 Swinger parts car I bought. What to do. Body is pretty good. Has some rust lower rear quarters, but rest of the body is pretty nice. Few trim and lamp bits missing, white interior needs a total redo, has a 318 auto, needs a master and the brakes hooked up etc. etc.

The question is, I bought the car to fix up the '71 with the thought that it had a small V8 (preference) as well if I wanted to do the swap. Pretty well done the fix up part on the '71, but had thought about taking the 318 auto out and doing a swap on the /6 after building up the 318.

Factors swaying me not to do so:
'71 runs and drives now - granted not nice lumpy V8 power

cost to machine and build up the 318

Time to do the work.

If I pulled it would it end up sitting in the shed half done because funds and time were used up doing other things to the house and with the family.

Could I possibly sell the '73 easier with the 318 in it even though it would still just be a rolling project, race car project or parts car? I don't know, would it be worth $500?

Fuel costs running a projected build of: kb pistons zero decked, either a set of 302 or the 360 heads I've already got - just get the compression to around 9.5, xe268 cam (or the next one down perhaps, hate to admit would like good streetable power, cost effective, but would like to have a bit of a lumpy idle. I know act my age), Performer intake (got one), carb I'm thinking about a 650 or maybe use this 340 thermoquad I have here, headers probably hedman or hooker or the like - can't afford TTI, may try to run the stock converter not sure on that, 3.21 gears in the back.

Factors swaying me to do pull the 318

Power when needed.

That schoolboyish lumpy idle.

Challenge of the build and tweaking for power and economy.

Perhaps a more valuable car when done as /6 not as popular. Not planning to sell, but just a thought.

Maybe take it out to the track and run it a few times. Would be happy to get into the 13's.

If decided to take a trip in it, would be more useful in pulling a small camper if needed.

Probably other reasons, but more emotional maybe than quantative.

So, what to do??????

Here is a couple of pics of it when I picked the car up.

Front.JPG

rear.JPG

ROFL!! You've just been bitten bad! You have succumbed to that infamous Mopar disease that will not allow you to part out a car! I kept my last "driver" a 71 Swinger 225 EV2 that needs some quater panel work as a parts car. The more I look at it, and the more I see cars in much worse shape being "restified", the more I know I can't EVER CUT IT UP! Now, I just have to let my wife in on it as she is under the impression that the only reason I have it up on stands is to keep it safe until it goes under the sawzall..

Grant

Give the '71 to the wife and work on the '73 for the day that she gets tired of driving you around. It will be a lot easier to fix the ills of the '73 than it would be to go to all that work on the '71. Besides, you will have one car available for duty at all times. Just my $.02.

-
Back