Air bleeds

-

72Dart360

Reaction score
Will making a change to the main air bleed circuit be as or more equal to a main jet change???

Basically, could I get away with making a quick air bleed change vice draining fuel from the bowls onto a hot intake between rounds at the track.

NO, Air bleeds are for Idle and power circuits and they change just those circuits. Richening or leaning the given circuit. The main jet controls both circuits. Air bleeds do just that control the air the jet controls the fuel.

I thought I read that the air bleeds could tend to lean out the mixture as the RPM rises up to redline. I know it's sort of a voodoo trial n error testing thing. I think it was Car Craft that did an article of a '67 barracuda with a tunnel ram, and they were using Pro-form Holley style replacement main bodies with cool removable air bleeds. After a lot of dyno testing, they did pick up quite a bit more power on the top end and eliminated a high RPM rich condition.

without airbleeds the engine would run richer as rpm increases unless the carburetor could correct the fuel/air ratio.
this is done by the airbleeds introducing air into the fuel before it leaves the nozzle. it also improves atomization.

-
Back