Air Cleaner issues

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Hi guys, Im having trouble finding a air cleaner that will fit under my hood. I have a 360 with airgap, 1" carb spacer and Holley 670. So far Im stuck with a tiny 9" cheap air cleaner on my car top of the carb. I decided to buy a 14" Edelbrock from Summit with a drop base to go on the car. Checked fitment before closing the hood all the way and all looked good.. I was wrong.. I dimpled my hood with the wing nut. (not a big deal, I told the Fiance this was a good reason I had to buy a dual snorkel intake for the hood). hehehe

So I was at my brothers place and he has a ton of engines sitting around. I just asked him for a basic air cleaner, we go down to the storage shed and he hands me a dual snorkel air cleaner.. Awesome!!!! So Im excited to try it out and the damn thing doesnt fit the Holley carb because of the float bowl adjusting nuts... DAMN IT, that really bums me out!!!!!!!

So what the heck will fit on my set up.. Curious as to what you guys are using with a similar set up as mine..

I use an eddy with dropped base....but no spacer.....how far above the air cleaner is the stud sticking up?

73 340 Duster....air gap or performer rpm have been on engine..with holley and eddy carbs..

I have a 340 with an Eddy Airgap, 1" spacer and Holley 650 so basically the same setup as you. My 14" drop base is about 1 1/2" drop. My hood closes fine. ('69 Dart). It is very close. I run a torque strap so the engine torqueing doesn't dimple the hood.
Remove the 1" spacer to see if that helps. Then you will know you are within an inch and can get a different drop base or some other mod. Or leave the spacer out.

In my Barracuda, I had an Air-gap + 1" spacer on my small block. I used a 14" diameter air-cleaner with a 1 3\4 drop base. With regular nut on top it just barely cleared....I also dimpled my hood in the process of finding out just how much space I had :banghead:. That was one of my many excuses to get a fiberglass hemi hood :D, lol.

Attachments

• Cuda and friends.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 295
I use an eddy with dropped base....but no spacer.....how far above the air cleaner is the stud sticking up?

73 340 Duster....air gap or performer rpm have been on engine..with holley and eddy carbs..

The stud didnt stick up that high, just enough for the wing nut to catch. It was those damn wings on the nut that was the issue.

I have a 340 with an Eddy Airgap, 1" spacer and Holley 650 so basically the same setup as you. My 14" drop base is about 1 1/2" drop. My hood closes fine. ('69 Dart). It is very close. I run a torque strap so the engine torqueing doesn't dimple the hood.
Remove the 1" spacer to see if that helps. Then you will know you are within an inch and can get a different drop base or some other mod. Or leave the spacer out.

I have a torque strap myself but not installed yet, I should get on that. I could remove the spacer and that should give me clearance for the 14" air cleaner. Which is the obvious answer, but I put it in to possibly help with vapor lock in the carb. Im not sure if the Air Gaps have that as much as other intakes but I know when I had a performer on it I had to install that spacer.

I have not looked into maybe getting a shorter air filter, that might be another option.. Boy I tell you Im sure disappointed that I couldnt run that dual snorkel air cleaner.

In my Barracuda, I had an Air-gap + 1" spacer on my small block. I used a 14" diameter air-cleaner with a 1 3\4 drop base. With regular nut on top it just barely cleared....I also dimpled my hood in the process of finding out just how much space I had :banghead:. That was one of my many excuses to get a fiberglass hemi hood :D, lol.

LOL, sometimes it just works out in your favor hehehe although a spendy favor.

on dual snorkel, cut out round hole above float adj, weld in tubes with caps, air cleaner now fits.

My 70 dart with Holley 770 street avenger stock 340 air cleaner and air gap fits , no spacer . With a spacer it would hit the hood

-
Back