Air cleaner with RPM air gap

-
Reaction score
Can't close the hood with Edelbrock 7577 intake and 670 Holley with a 1.25 drop base air cleaner. 72 Dart with 5.9 magnum swap. I see other options for drop bases but I'm not sure what will work with what I have. Has anyone run into this problem and how was it resolved? Also I tried to use a 2" filter instead of the 3" and the top of the lid hit the choke area before I could get it tightened all the way down. Any guidance or personal experience would be much appreciated.

I have a RPM air gap on my Duster (demon clone with Dart hood). I run a Holley 750 double pumper with a 1" carb spacer and a 13" Mopar Performance air cleaner lid using a drop base from a Ford racing air cleaner with a 2.3" tall K&N element. I even run a small spacer under the air cleaner to clear my throttle linkage at WOT. Mancini sells a drop base now for the mopar performance air cleaners, but that wasn't available when I did mine.

Here's the 2.3" tall air filter I use
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-e-2865
This is the Ford Racing air cleaner I stole the drop base from. It's advertised as a .625" drop but that's for a Ford so I don't know if the reference is the same
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-302-350?seid=srese1&gclid=CJvxyoGrt8QCFUiEfgodoUgASA

Here's the Mancini drop base for a 13" air cleaner, not sure how this one fits but Mancini sells it specifically for the MP finned covers.
Mancini Racing "Low Pro" Air Cleaner Baseplate

And here's a few pictures of the set up in the car. Pardon my dirt, I've been visiting my family a lot and they live down a dirt road. Anyway, in the first picture you can see the small spacer I run, this was modified from one of those generic air cleaner adaptor kits, I cut it down to match my needs. Second picture is everything assembled. There isn't a ton of space, but everything clears.

IMG_3393.jpg

IMG_3394.jpg

I killed two birds with one stone;
I cut a hole in my hood, and mounted a nice aluminum oval filter-house on top of the hood with an oiled filter. Then I sealed the carb to the underside of the hood.
Now I have lotsa filter room, and the engine has fresh cold air.
Yes, making the decision to cut the hole was a bit difficult, but it was one of my better ones;IMO.

Maybe use the 2" element with a very short (1/4"?) spacer under the air cleaner to help clear the choke?

Talked to Summit today and asked about the extra 1/2" of clearance. The tech said yes so I decided to try it for now.

Found out it's not the air cleaner after spending a bunch of time and and bit of money, turns out something else is stopping the hood from closing. I got it closed but it's bound up or something with the hinges has changed. It stops about 1" before the latch and I finally just forced it shut but it's not right. I marked the hinges before taking off the hood. Does any know what is happening?

I use a drop base with a 3" filter and a filter top and no clearance issues with my Weiand and plenty of room. I will be swapping to an AirGap

Picture 1237.jpg

Picture 1931.jpg

Watch it be something stupid...a wrench slipped down and is interfering with the hinge or something

Hope it's nothing stupid :D I can't see anything in there but the hinges sure do wobble when the hood was off and flex outward when I shut the hood. I'm not sure how but maybe the hinges are worn out.

I have a RPM air gap on my Duster (demon clone with Dart hood). I run a Holley 750 double pumper with a 1" carb spacer and a 13" Mopar Performance air cleaner lid using a drop base from a Ford racing air cleaner with a 2.3" tall K&N element. I even run a small spacer under the air cleaner to clear my throttle linkage at WOT. Mancini sells a drop base now for the mopar performance air cleaners, but that wasn't available when I did mine.

Here's the 2.3" tall air filter I use
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-e-2865
This is the Ford Racing air cleaner I stole the drop base from. It's advertised as a .625" drop but that's for a Ford so I don't know if the reference is the same
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-302-350?seid=srese1&gclid=CJvxyoGrt8QCFUiEfgodoUgASA

Here's the Mancini drop base for a 13" air cleaner, not sure how this one fits but Mancini sells it specifically for the MP finned covers.
Mancini Racing "Low Pro" Air Cleaner Baseplate

And here's a few pictures of the set up in the car. Pardon my dirt, I've been visiting my family a lot and they live down a dirt road. Anyway, in the first picture you can see the small spacer I run, this was modified from one of those generic air cleaner adaptor kits, I cut it down to match my needs. Second picture is everything assembled. There isn't a ton of space, but everything clears.

View attachment 1714951497
View attachment 1714951498
I'm gonna have to get me one of these. I got a MP air cleaner and valve covers a few weeks ago, put the air cleaner on, closed the hood, drove the car a few times then popped the hood to discover the one fin was hitting something on the hood and put a very noticeable dent in it:BangHead: guess I'll have to get Leanna to powder coat em sometime and fix the fin.

Hope it's nothing stupid :D I can't see anything in there but the hinges sure do wobble when the hood was off and flex outward when I shut the hood. I'm not sure how but maybe the hinges are worn out.
Spray your hinges with WD-40, PB blaster or something similar. My hinges did the same thing, they were just sticking from the car sitting so long.

I have just over 3 1/2"s from the throttle body to the hood, and a bit less as the hood has contours. I put this set-up on, but I still need to cut down my Big Gulp throttle body to Airgap adapter to make it another 1/2" lower or have a custom one made out of phenolic by Jomar Performance.

Airbox2.JPG

-
Back