Air compressor help

-

imacbo

Reaction score
Ok i want to get an air compressor for my shop so I can run a few air tools. I would say it would be light to med work load. I want to run an impact, ratchet, and maybe a spray gun (not all at the same time) what would be the best cheapest way to go?
Would this work?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94667
or would i need bigger? All I really want is something to help so I dont have to use a wrench the whole time. thanks

One of my air compressors is a Husky (Home Depot) and IIRC delivers 5. something scfm @ 90 psi and has a 33 gallon tank.

It will run a air ratchet, 1/2" drive impact gun or diegrinder. It won't run an airfile or oribital sander for any period of time. The die grinder will just about kill it too if run it for any length of time (more than 5 minutes).

I now have a bad *** 220v 5 hp continuos duty rated electric motor with a big *** cast iron twin cylinder compressor head and 75 gallon tank. If the tank is at zero psi, I switch it on, walk out for a smoke I'm at 100 psi. I love this thing.

I guess what I'm getting at is save up for the best you can afford as you can never have too much air.

I highly recommend a larger compressor, 21 gal is about 30 seconds of impacting before the compressor turns on. I also suspect those air numbers are under ideal conditions and are peak numbers, compressors twice as expensive have a hard time keeping up with those numbers. I also recommend an oil-lubed compressor. The oil-lube lasts much longer, is a lot quieter, and can usually supply a higher volume of air for longer periods of time. The bad news is that oil type compressors are more expensive, but worth it. I bought the Sears Professional series 26Gal horizontal, $400. I bought it because it is super quiet and runs on 110V (can be converted to 220V). I use it in an apartment garage and my neigbors cant hear it at all. Check out Lowes and Tractor supply too, they have some huge 60gal oil comps for around $400.

That compressor is just barely adequate for an impact gun and not adequate at all for a die grinder, DA sander, spray gun or any other air tool that uses continious air supply. Also, to really get the full power from an impact gun you need to supply it with at least 125 psi even though they are rated at 90 psi so you want to look at the scfm needs and the ability of the compressor to supply that at 125 psi.

Agree. If you are going to get a compressor then get the best you can afford. I purchased one of those oil less roll around things from HD at first. Ran continuously under use and had to wait for it to catch up. Could use for about a minute and then power would run out and I'd have to wait. Talk about loud too.

Went back and bought the 60 gallon 7 hp one. Has worked well so far for the tools I use, impacts, drills, cut off wheels, grinder, small blast cabinet. Keep in mind though that if you do buy on like this that there are other items you will need to purchase. The compressor I got you had to purchase the pipe to come off the side, regulator, hose connections, hose and concrete mounts to mount it to the floor.

Best of luck with it.

Try to get a twin cylinder comp. if you can. I have a single & it takes forever to catch up. Wish I would have opted for the twin now. Faster recovery rate!

14 years ago I bought a MAC tools compressor. It was a 5 hp,
60 gallon tank unit. I can run all sorts of air tools with no
problems. I can use an impact to take off 4 tires, before it
will kick in. Spend a little extra now and you will be happier
later. It's a 220 volt system also. Good luck. Oh, by the way.
I got it fom the local MAC dealer for about 400 bucks and was
able to make payments on it. That same compressor now is about
double now I bet. It worked for me.

14 years ago I bought a MAC tools compressor. It was a 5 hp,
60 gallon tank unit. I can run all sorts of air tools with no
problems. I can use an impact to take off 4 tires, before it
will kick in. Spend a little extra now and you will be happier
later. It's a 220 volt system also. Good luck. Oh, by the way.
I got it fom the local MAC dealer for about 400 bucks and was
able to make payments on it. That same compressor now is about
double now I bet. It worked for me.

You got a model number for him? Sounds like a great deal.:read2:

I negotiated this air compressor in the price of the house. It came from the "Denver Rubber Company" and has "Denver" cast right into the compressor head, no BS. The guy I bought the house froms brother worked there and grabbed it before they scrapped it. The previous owner re-ringed it. Just a lucky deal, I guess. If I don't include the rest of the crap I need to fix here, lol!

Also, don't pay any attention to HP ratings on compressors. They are for the most part a totally misleading spec have no baring on what the compressor is capable of producing.

For example; My first compressor was a wheeled unit with a single cylinder oilless pump. It has a rating of 5 HP on the side but runs on a standard 15 Amp 120 volt electric service. 5 HP at 120 volts requires 31 Amps and requires special wiring and a different plug. Also, this compressor can't even keep up with an impact gun. The way they get away saying it's 5 HP is that if you were to lock the rotor and prevent the motor from turning and allowed it to draw as much current as it wanted it would draw 31 Amps.

Mine is a Sanborn black max.5hp 220 V. Bought at Sams Club about 20 years ago. I've got a homemade vacuum for the above ground pool that runs on air (saves a lot of water). Then the inflatables, blow off the mower after use, etc..
Very handy piece of equipment beyond the air wrenches.

what ever you do stay away from the oiless like the ones sears sells I bought one of the biggest uprights they have and it is noisy as all get out and they self destruct it thru a rod and I had to replace both pistons and now its all out of balance and walks all over. not ral happy what a waist of money

i painted a truck for a guy last fall.i was using my dads 80 gal.compressor.the guy bought me a coleman 60 gal. 5hp upright compressor.the thing is pretty quiet. i sand blast,paint, all sorts of air tools. works great. It was $295 my cost.normal cost is around $395.it would be a really good choice on a budget. i know orsclens farm and home sell them. my neighbor is a vendor that stocks them with all there air and paint products.that is how i got my cheaper.

I started out with a compressor with the same ratings as the one your looking at and I hated it. It wouldn't keep up with hardly anything I tried to use on it except inflating tires. Get something with at least 10 cfm at 90 lbs. and at least a 40 gallon tank if you plan on spray painting or using a die grinder much or really putting the impact to use. I now have a 60 gallon Devilbiss that I bought at Rural King for $369 about 3 yrs. ago. It's rated at 11 cfm at 90 lbs. and even with that when I port heads the die grinder or DA sander will kill it in 25-30 minutes of continual use then I have to take a 5-10 minute break to let it catch up.

you have to watch what air tools you buy check there requirments before you by the same 1/2" impact in several different brands will consumje different amounts of air. buy name brand if you have the funds they usually use less air then the cheap china or jap made ones.

-
Back