Air Compressor Silencer

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
Best way to quiet it down is place it outside, I have mine in a plastic utility building that I bought at Lowes, keeps it dry and suppresses the noise.

Best way to quiet it down is place it outside, I have mine in a plastic utility building that I bought at Lowes, keeps it dry and suppresses the noise.

I am starting to get that impression.What if anything did you do as far as ventilation?

If I run it hard, I just open the door.
Limited use, just let it run.
Best thing is you can't hear it in the garage, put a "t" with an exta quick disconnect at the compressor to use it around the yard.

this works pretty good, can hardly hear it

DSC06071.JPG

I made my own out of ABS plastic. You can relocate the actual air filter as far away as you like using plastic piping. I screwed the pipe into the ABS fittings that flare up to larger diameters and put some foam in the end covered with a woman's nylon stocking as a pre-filter. Try and limit the number of sharp bends to help keep restriction down. They come in handy for filtering paint as well.

Thanks, Everyone!

I have the space and am going to explore building a shed right outside the shop. @sireland67 How big is your "shed" relative to the compressor? Meaning how many feet around it do you have?

boss man at work has a lot of experience in compressed air, he said you can just run the intake on the compressor out through the wall in your garage, says it would be a plus too if youre doing a lot of bodywork to run it outside that way you arent sucking up all that body putty dust in your compressor either

I have at least 12" in every direction.

I punched studs into the floor with a Hilti and mounted my compressor on Valve springs.....
most of the noise is from vibration it seems and this really helped !

boss man at work has a lot of experience in compressed air, he said you can just run the intake on the compressor out through the wall in your garage, says it would be a plus too if youre doing a lot of bodywork to run it outside that way you arent sucking up all that body putty dust in your compressor either

I have see this at Costco actually. They have their intake filter plumbed through the wall, outside. Not sure this would go over well with the neighbors.
The shed is by far the best idea, I know with my R13 insulated 2x4 shop I can barely hear the thing running when the doors are closed and I am outside, so the shed should solve it.

I mounted my upright 60 gallon on a 1/4" aluminum plate with tool box castors. I roll it outside when i dont want to deal with the racket, close the shop door, and let it chug away.

downloadfile-2.jpg

downloadfile-3.jpg

I bet you are going to find out that noise from the intake is not the big cause of your pain. If it's already situated in a corner of the shop you could build an insulated box and vent to outside wall. Couple of screen grills. Don't forget the tank drain

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone.

I have calculated the costs with building a shed outside, building a insulated box inside, etc. What I ended up getting and it arrived yesterday was an intake silencer. I got it here. This was cheaper (money and time wise) than the above options.

I installed it last night and wow, it significantly lowered the sound of the compressor. I am also going to order the above filter/silencer to top it off and it should be good to go.

If I had my way, I would have built a shed outside (I have the space) but the cost to add additional wiring, etc. just didn't seem worth it in the end.

yikes, $179 for a 3" glass pack? If it worked, great.

I was thinking the same thing. but I weighed out the cost of this to the the other options:

1. Build a shed outside (Pour a slab, build the shed, rent a pallet jack to move the compressor)
2. Move compressor to the RV side of the shop (I have two sides, separated by a wall) - Rent a pallet jack move it, buy 100' of 6/3 wire, run wire, move compressed air hard lines.

After weighing this all out, the decision was simple. Sure it didn't completely silence it, like moving it outside or into another room, but this was the most cost effective solution that had significant benefits.

cool, my cousin is a cop in Methford, er... Medford. I think he lives in Central Point. Nice place, lots of green.

-
Back