Air compressor

-

Bigdummy

Not a Nova
Reaction score
I moved my compressor from my home to my shop.Now when the air builds up to 80 psi it labors and I didn't catch it and burned a capacitor. I replaced it and watched it that's how I know it's at 80 psi.i wonder if there's a check valve somewhere?

what's the electrical supply looking like? I believe your running out of amps @load if the only change was moving the compressor.

I got 220 going to it .I'm running a generator.I had the electric motor checked.they guy said it used 20 amps to start the uses 7 to 10 amps.I tried my generator which is 8250 watts with a 35 amp fuse and a 5500 watt that has a 30 amp fuse and it does it with both of them. My electrical box it's wired to a 30 amp.I guess the higher the pressure the more the amp draw!

I have 15 ft of #12 from the generator to the wall plug then 3 ft to the box.Shoulf o go with #6 ?Am I loosing it in the wire?

so your powering up wall sockets? lights? If you wire the comp direct to the gen will it run? Don't think your generator is enough for what you're trying to do.

You are in a "worse spot" with your generator.

1....Generator "ratings" are often "imaginary". That is, it's easy to pump up the numbers (it's just a label) to make things sound good. But regardless of that, somewhere buried in there the gen specs should show what it can "start" in the way of motors

2....Big motors such as your compressor have a VERY heavy starting (surge) load. This is especially problematic when using a generator

3....Make sure the compressor is "unloading" properly. In your case you MAY have to rig up something "special." Maybe some sort of time delay to allow the compressor motor / pump to get up to speed before it starts working against a head

Unloader systems vary. Some are a "tell tale" little separate tube going to the switch. This pops a little valve to relieve compressor cylinder pressure on shutdown

Some unloaders are built into the check valve going into the tank. These are fairly UNreliable, as they can stick

Some unloaders are a mechanical, such as centrifugal device on the compressor with a mechanical link running up to a head, to actuate a valve. You need to see if these are working

"Clues" are hissing on shutdown, and with the compressor unhooked (disconnect pulled) you should be able to "easily" turn the compressor flywheel, should not feel the cylinders working against pressure.

I would go through the compressor literature AND the genset literature carefully. Find out if the genset can actually "start" the compressor, and make certain the circuit size is 'up to the task.'

Did you say this is a 30A breaker feeding the compressor? No12 is too small for a 30A breaker. How long/ how big is the total wiring, IE from generator to box, and from box to compressor? Depending on length, no 8 from the genset to the box, and no10 from box to generator.

Does the compressor turn free? You "did" check the oil in the pump?

so your powering up wall sockets? lights? If you wire the comp direct to the gen will it run? Don't think your generator is enough for what you're trying to do.

I think your right .I was looking at this 2.5 hp 21 gal compressor.The big problem is 260 ft of #1 from my house to the shop.its very expensive.

To answer your first question, yes there is a check valve at the bottom of the aluminium tube that runs from the pump to the top of the tank. You will usually not notice a problem with it while running but when it gets stuck open it will have an extremely hard time starting again when there is pressure in the tank. The check valve essentially keeps the tank pressure off of the top of the piston when it tries to restart. What you need to do is get an electrical meter and read the voltage going to the air compressor while it is running. Se how far below 220v it is dropping when it is getting up to pressure. It is very possible the generator cannot keep the voltage up with the load demand.

To answer your first question, yes there is a check valve at the bottom of the aluminium tube that runs from the pump to the top of the tank. You will usually not notice a problem with it while running but when it gets stuck open it will have an extremely hard time starting again when there is pressure in the tank. The check valve essentially keeps the tank pressure off of the top of the piston when it tries to restart. What you need to do is get an electrical meter and read the voltage going to the air compressor while it is running. Se how far below 220v it is dropping when it is getting up to pressure. It is very possible the generator cannot keep the voltage up with the load demand.
Ok

I hooked my generator directly up and it wouldn't turn it.i left it on 80 psi in the tank

I sold my compressor to a friend for 375.00.The wife and I went to home depot and looked at a 33 gal 1.7 hp and the price was wrong.It said 129.99 the real price was 299.We got it for 129.99 so I added the extra 2 yr warranty.Then I forgot about a 40 dollar gift card I had from a customer and my wife wipped it out at the register

-
Back