Air conditioning interchange

-

67Dart440GT

Seriously Long Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 67 Dart Gt that had factory air and "mostly" complete set up. I also have a 71 Demon 340 that had air as well but is long gone. I am just wondering if anyone knows if the 67 stuff would be correct for the Demon? I am leaning towards a more oem restoration on the Demon. The Dart will get an aftermarket air set up in the future. Thoughts?

What are you missing on the demon, inside stuff, under hood stuff?

The under hood stuff is pretty much the same with the exception of the pulleys and compressor mounting hardware. They are much different.

The controls are a little different on the inside, but could be adapted with a little work. I think the inside ac/ heater boxes are the same from 67-72. The 67 controls are one year.

Mine is a 69 with a factory air from a 71 & it has a 67 rally dash. So it is a real Frankenstein, but works well once you get it all worked out.

What are you missing on the demon, inside stuff, under hood stuff?

The under hood stuff is pretty much the same with the exception of the pulleys and compressor mounting hardware. They are much different.

The controls are a little different on the inside, but could be adapted with a little work. I think the inside ac/ heater boxes are the same from 67-72. The 67 controls are one year.

Mine is a 69 with a factory air from a 71 & it has a 67 rally dash. So it is a real Frankenstein, but works well once you get it all worked out.

Hey Mike. Everything was taken out of this car. When I got it the car didn't even have a heater box in it. I rebuilt a non ac box just so I could have heat and defrost. They must have changed out the rallye dash as well because the one in the car does not have the spot for the a/c controls. I will eventually need to get the correct dash as well. I did have a set of pully's on the 30 that didn't line up when I went to adjust the belt. I figure those were the a/c pully's from the car perhaps.

On the 67 stuff I have the controls, heater box, and some of the hoses and parts from the engine bay. No compressor or brackets for the compressor.

When you get right down to it, I would think that if the heater/AC box fit, the rest would be pretty easy. Mounting the AC compressor, condenser and hoses will be no problem. that pretty much leaves wiring and maybe A cable or two. If, for instance, you needed a cable to open/close a heater hose that was not supported by the dash controls, you could always hide a choke cable knob under the dash by the steering wheel. And if worse came to worse, you could run a wire to the compressor with a simple off on switch. Granted, those are worst case, but AC as actually pretty simple. Get a 69 wiring diagram and a 71 wiring diagram. That should answer most of your questions.

I have tons of A-Body A/C stuff I am getting ready to either sell cheap or junk, sold my building so that kinda stuff takes up to much room to store now. As said above, the brackets to mount the compressor and pulley's will be the hardest thing to find. The under dash stuff is pretty much the same except for some of the control interchange over the years...

I have tons of A-Body A/C stuff I am getting ready to either sell cheap or junk, sold my building so that kinda stuff takes up to much room to store now. As said above, the brackets to mount the compressor and pulley's will be the hardest thing to find. The under dash stuff is pretty much the same except for some of the control interchange over the years...
Do you get down to your building much anymore? I can stop down on the weekends if you are around.

Do you get down to your building much anymore? I can stop down on the weekends if you are around.
I am out to Vegas this week, but I will pretty much be around from March 25th to May 1st trying to figure out what I am gonna do with all of it. Give me a call...

-
Back