Air Flow Around Valve Guide

-

Earlie A

Reaction score
In the flow testing I have done, I have always been able to find some flow increases around the valve guide. Get it right and there are 10 cfm on the top end and a few cfm throughout the range. Behind the guide accounts for about half of that. I have always found a knife edge airfoil shape rotated toward bore center to be worth 3-5 cfm. I have tried many different shapes and angles and I always come back to this one. This can be seen in the picture of the abused chamber below.

Obviously this is easy to do with clay on a bench and more difficult in a running engine. I'm not suggesting this should always be done or even that the way I am showing is the correct way. Others have had great success with other methods. I am sharing the results of my testing, that's all.

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

Yep....close by for sure! Back when we had a good Mopar show at Bristol every year, I sold a Challenger to a guy in Kingsport. There's quite a few Mopar guys in the Tri Cities area. My :realcrazy: sister-in-law lives in Johnson City, so I'm over that way semi often.

I got a pair of Speedmaster small block heads during the Black Friday deal, and when I was looking at them I wondered if there would be any help for them around the guides. They leave a big ol knot of brass hanging into the bowl, for sure!

-
Back