Air Gap and Vapor Lock

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Ive had vapor lock in the past using a performer intake and I cured it by installing a 1" carb spacer. Well out of habit I also installed a 1" spacer on my air gap. Those of you using air gaps do you have any issues with vapor lock and do you use a carb spacer?

Don't know yet. Everyone here suggested the 5/16" insulating base gasket. That's what I'm going to run.

Air gap manifolds are by design not prone to inducing vapor lock, so with the one spacer it should be fine unless you have tons of under hood heat or fuel line running close to exhaust pipes.

Don't know yet. Everyone here suggested the 5/16" insulating base gasket. That's what I'm going to run.

Good idea, I forgot about this piece.

Air gap manifolds are by design not prone to inducing vapor lock, so with the one spacer it should be fine unless you have tons of under hood heat or fuel line running close to exhaust pipes.

Kinda what I was wondering, I have no more than normal heat load. That will free up some under hood space and I can finally install a decent air cleaner.

When I ran an Air-gap I used a 1/2" wood spacer below my nitrous plate (also 1/2"), which netted a little over 1 of spacer when you add in all the gaskets. No problems for me. I used a drop base air cleaner to take care of the hood clearance issues.

I use and run the Edelbrock sold divided thick gasket. Which comes with longer carbs studs. This should very well stop any percolation and other issues with the carb. Excellent part to use.

I have a Edelbrock 8711 4- Barrel Carburetor Spacers 4 Hole 1 in. Spacer Black Phenolic Plastic no hood clearance Issues for me either.
See Arrow>> NO VAPOR LOCK anymore.
I used to get it ALL the TIME with my old motor, I had no spacer on a torker manifold.

Attachments

• engine pic.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 235
LOL! LOVE the arrow!

Yes! It is true! Carbs do not like a lot of heat!

I have a Edelbrock 8711 4- Barrel Carburetor Spacers 4 Hole 1 in. Spacer Black Phenolic Plastic no hood clearance Issues for me either.
See Arrow>> NO VAPOR LOCK anymore.
I used to get it ALL the TIME with my old motor, I had no spacer on a torker manifold.

I do have hood clearance issues and it looks like Im using the exact same spacer you are. I have a LA360, airgap with a Holley 670 and the exact same air cleaner your using. When I did a test fit (not closing the hood all the way) it looked like I had pleanty of clearance. When I decided to shut the hood the whole way I dimpled my hood with the wing nut. Not the stud itself, the wing nut! :banghead: I was looking at getting rid of the 1" spacer so I could use the larger air cleaner, but worried about the heat soak.

do this>>>"I used a drop base air cleaner to take care of the hood clearance issues."

I probably have more clearance since I have a 74 duster with the (hated by some) beak so my hood is higher I think and I have a hole cut in it for the 6 pack scoop as well so I guess that's the reason I don't have hood issues, sorry if I misled anyone..

do this>>>"I used a drop base air cleaner to take care of the hood clearance issues."

I probably have more clearance since I have a 74 duster with the (hated by some) beak so my hood is higher I think and I have a hole cut in it for the 6 pack scoop as well so I guess that's the reason I don't have hood issues, sorry if I misled anyone..

Yep already a drop base. I think I will also soon have a hole in my hood where Im installing a scoop. So I might not have that issue either. LOL

-
Back