air gap in distributor

-

ram45red

Reaction score
Just installed a new distributor in my son's 73 dart swinger 318 and doesn't want to run whitout poping back and shutting off. Tried using a light to set timing at 10 degrees before top dead center then kept adusting slowly with no luck. Can't find my repair manual for this car. What is the air gap in distributor supposed to be set at? This is a brand new NAPA distributor out of the box. Air gap looked like a loose .008mm when I checked it before we installed it. What are we missing?

Thanks. Before I installed new dist.I checked it with a brass .008 gauge and it was loose but a .010 mm wouldn't go in so I thought it would be ok but it just will not run. When my help gets in after tech school we'll go at it again. The first thing I am going to try is close the gap to a snug .008mm. I'm sure we are just missing something simple. Thanks. Sandy

Describe the engine symptoms?

Does it run at all?

What do you mean "popping back and shutting off?"

You sure you don't have it 1/2 turn off?

You sure the firing order is correct? You sure you didn't get the wires one hole off?

Take the coil wire, hold it near ground, and crank the car. It should generate "rythmic" sparks

-
Back