Air gap underhood

-

slowdown

Reaction score
So I've had several guys call me about buying a air gap intake but it seems they think it will hit the hood of there car? All three guys where owners of 67-69 barracudas. I had it on my 68 dart with no problems but I can't tell them with a 100 percent certanty it will clear there hood.
Am I missing something? Are barracuda hoods lower? I'm in no hurry to sell it but I don't want to sell it to some guy that thinks it'll clear his hood if it won't. Thanks.

Buy a can of Play-Doh. Take it out of the can and set it on top of the air cleaner. Shut the hood. Measure how high the Play-Doh is now. That's your hood clearance. Now you can measure the intakes and if the difference is less than the clearance, it'll work.

I own a '69 Barracuda and plan to install an airgap. The airgap is 1 inch taller than performer currently on my car. I used the Play Doh method and it will clear with my air cleaner. You can also get an air cleaner base that drops down a little more if need be.

treblig

I just put my 340 in my 67 barracuda to check. Set the Air Gap on top, put the Fitech tb on there and a 16 x 4" air box on top and the hood "just" touched it. I'll have to modify the base to drop the air box about an inch and be in business.

I have a 69 Barracuda with a modified 340 and an Air Gap. The clearance was OK, but closer than I cared for. So I went with an Edelbrock Chrome Air Filter (any round one with a base and a lid would work) with a K & N Air Filter that was only 2.5 inches tall. That gave me the clearance I needed. The K & N people said that their 2.5 inch filter would outflow a 3" paper one, and based on the tire melting performance I have had, I agree. I do not remember the part number, but call K & N. They were very helpful.

Fits on my 66 Cuda with a drop base with a 3" WIX race filter. In my opinion stay away from the K&N, I would never run them again, more flow=more dust.

Have an air gap on my 340 in my Dart with the Mopar air cleaner it does fit but you cannot run the insulation under the hood and had to use a 2" air filter instead the the 2 3/4" that comes with it

A drop base air cleaner housing works fine because that is what I started with

View attachment image.jpg

I have an Airgap on my '68 Barracuda with an adapter to run a Hughes Big Gulp throttle body. A drop base or other low profile filter or airhat is required.

Fits on my 66 Cuda with a drop base with a 3" WIX race filter. In my opinion stay away from the K&N, I would never run them again, more flow=more dust.

The only issues I have with K&N is on turboed applications. Sucks oil right out of the filter, had one cause a fire doing that.

-
Back