Airbrushed metal? Look cool?

-

Deemo

Reaction score
So I have an airbrush and been contemplating the idea of just doing my car with a metal panel look. Rivets and such also. My body is clean, has a primer on it that I tinted to a blueish color. But I've been airbrushing for years, just little things. But confident I can do this. I've not seen a lot of cars done this way either. It's going to be either a matte red on the whole car or do this. What do you guys think? Cool, neat, or just trash? It's my daily driver as well, so no show car finish here. I want to drive my car. Not sit and wish I could drive it. Here's the color now as it sits and what I'd like to accomplish. (No I didn't do the second picture, but I'm sure I can duplicate it)

image.jpg

IMG_0936.JPG

saw an old hotrod at the York show a couple years ago. I think they mostly did bigger sections and along all body lines as if it had actually been built that way. Not so many little pieces. Looked pretty cool.

Well. I'm trying it ATM with water paint so I can wash it off. Might just stay with it. Keep in mind I still haven't added white for highlights and brown for a old weathered look

image.jpg

Dude.... that's cool.i always liked those theme based builds that encompassed old military planes with the rivets n all. Maybe some tail numbers and stuff for details...

Last edited:
awesome! How many packs of smokes.... gotta include that somewhere like the old planes and bombing missions... LOL!

Well. I normally paint motorcycles as I can repair plastics. I'm not a body guy. I couldn't align a door even if someone else did it for me. That's sad. But I thought about since I'm actually going to keep going, finding something mopar related from the 60s or further back. Some saying or I guess use my poppa's old 76 service station logo. I grew up pumping gas and washing windshields there and working on old studebakers, Volkswagens and such. But finding a logo for Plymouth from back then and then weathering it would be really neat

Look at Vargas or Petty pin up girls ..... might be cool to replicate those images....on a back panel or passenger door where you might be enticing a certain someone to ride....ya? Well hopefully not enticing someone to ride in the trunk.

I had thought about a few things. My car has noooooo markings other than the grill and the signet 100 tags on the fenders. Someone wanted my Plymouth logo more than me on the trunk. So maybe I'll do that and some old mopar thing. Maybe Felix the cat running with a bomb? I dunno.

But I do have a buddy who does NASCAR helmets. It'll be a while but he does killer work with an airbrush. I can't do this but he can. And I found something for barracuda owners as well :). I thought it was funny

IMG_0940.JPG

IMG_0941.JPG

Will do. I have the colors I need. Was just doing it for some practice. Here's the end result before I wash it tomorrow

IMG_0946.JPG

Maybe lose the wheel covers and go with baby moons and do rivits around the rims edge? Or go with full smooth discs...

Maybe lose the wheel covers and go with baby moons and do rivits around the rims edge? Or go with full smooth discs...
I'm trying for some 14in rally's ATM but I do have a set of dog dish hub caps with white walls

-
Back