Aircraft stripper

-
I'm going to listen to Leanna and not waste my time with the Aircraft stripper. I ordered a mystery product that is supposed to strip powder coating. I will post my results soon.:mrgreen: So far nothing even scratched this powder coating. Stay tuned.

Let us know how the "mystery" product works... I know you will. lol

Anything meaner than the Aircraft stripper must be some bad stuff!:evil:

Ludacris and Zack Wilde ... I think it rocks. I've been wanting to install a pole in the shop ever since I first heard it. :-D

Watch it .... you might give some of these guys a heart attack talking like that! LOL

Gasket remover??? Okayyyyyyyy, cool! I'm intrigued -- been a big fan of Permatex products my whole life and have never heard of using it on powder. Hope it works for ya big guy!!! I want action pics. :-D

That would be the last thing I would have thought of.... I just about cant believe that would remove it. But....

Heads up guys. We have a lady in our midst that knows her stuff when it comes to powder coating and the chacteristics of the product. Leanna is a professional at what she does and will try and help when ever she can and will not intentionally steer ya wrong. Take some good advice when she gives it out.
Small Block

o ok u the boss

Heads up guys. We have a lady in our midst that knows her stuff when it comes to powder coating and the chacteristics of the product. Leanna is a professional at what she does and will try and help when ever she can and will not intentionally steer ya wrong. Take some good advice when she gives it out.
Small Block

Wow, thank you Bill! That means a lot reading that.

Ok, here's the scoop. I've learned powder coating is some strong chit man. I tried two kinds of strippers, one being aircraft stripper and that's wicked stuff and it didn't touch the powder coating. I started to use an abrasive blasting gun on it but it was going too slow so I ordered Eastwoods powder coat stripper. http://www.eastwood.com/ew-powdercoat-and-paint-dissolver-quart.html

The lid was down to bare metal in 1 hr. Yes, the stuff works. Not so much as a speck of powder coating left. This stuff doesn't even burn your skin if it gets on your hands and it doesn't really have any odor. It basically disolves the powder coating. The trick is to let your part being stripped sit in the sun and get hot before applying the stripper. It seems to kick off the chemical reaction. I used a spray bottle to apply the stripper and a paint brush to move it around. If you could totally submerge your part in this stuff it would be stripped in no time. The product does work. MMG

Attachments

• IMG_2860.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 122

It's DeSolv, that stuff I talked about earlier. Just in a smaller, more expensive re-labeled container. :-D I'm glad it worked for you! Keep it out of the cold if you can. But please don't make the mistake of thinking it's safe for your skin because it's not. We want you around. :love10:

I had powder coated lower control arms on a s10. Brake fluid melted the coating right off.

+1 I have powdercoated handlebars/trees on my bike ....and a leaky master cylinder :(

I've heard that before a few times. As an experiment, I submerged and soaked a coated 'display case' bracket in brake fluid for 3 months and it didn't do a thing. Maybe it's all in the prep ... :dontknow:

From my understanding, there are different types of powders that are used in the coating process. They are basically different polymers such as nylon, epoxy, enamel, acryllic, etc. Therefore, you may find a stripper that works on one type of coating (polymer) but not on another. And you might have to be careful that the stripper that works on your coating may do harm to the material that is coated.

I'm a chemist by trade in the aircraft industry. We have been unable to find a paint stripper that works as good as the old strippers did before the EPA banned chlorinated solvents and other non-chlorinated solvents that did the trick.

Leanna, what type of powders do you use to coat?

Art

P.S. if you did put a pole in your shop, would you coat it first? LOL

Art, you're right. The cosmetic powders I use are made from lots of materials and additives but are mainly acrylic, polyester, urethane (or combinations of the three), epoxies and hybrids. Most epoxies and hybrids are not well suited for automotive use -- mainly non-UV / indoor applications -- so I don't shoot much of them.

P.S. You know I would! My oven'll hold something 6'9" so I might have to cure it on an angle ...

Around here the powder coating shops use a hot alkaline strip to remove unwanted powder paint.

Being on a budget, either myself or one of my friends just takes what needs to be striped to the local heat treater, (along with a case of beer), and have it baked at a temperature that the parent material has no problem with, but the paint can't begin to handle.

The parts are always flawless with all areas completely bare.

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the heat treaters oven.

LOL

-
Back