AJE K FRAME PROBLEMS

-

Hoophoop

Reaction score
I have a new AJE K Frame with QA1 coil over shocks with a Flaming River manual steering, has anyone else installed one of these? I took it to an alignment shop yetserday and had it aligned, THIS THING STEERS LIKE A TANK, AND I HAVE SEEM TO LOST MY TURNING RADIUS? I do have a Ford 9" spool in rear which I know doesnt help, just curious of any input if someone else has installed this setup, I have a 73 Duster. Any info would be very helpful please.

the aje k-frame as far as i know (from what i have read over the years on various forums..) is basically a drag racing piece. not intended for the street.. its designed to go in a straight line. not a corner machine.

the aje k-frame as far as i know (from what i have read over the years on various forums..) is basically a drag racing piece. not intended for the street.. its designed to go in a straight line. not a corner machine.

Not surprised. If you go to moparts, you'll find people with tons of pictures of issues with those Ks after trying to drive them on the street. On the drag strip, they do ok, but they just don't hold up on the street. I live not far from them, I went and saw their facility and products up close and personal, let's just say I chose to go elsewhere

I have a new AJE K Frame with QA1 coil over shocks with a Flaming River manual steering, has anyone else installed one of these? I took it to an alignment shop yetserday and had it aligned, THIS THING STEERS LIKE A TANK, AND I HAVE SEEM TO LOST MY TURNING RADIUS? I do have a Ford 9" spool in rear which I know doesnt help, just curious of any input if someone else has installed this setup, I have a 73 Duster. Any info would be very helpful please.

The k frame should have little to do with turning radius. If your spindles and linkage are the same as long as there's no interference with anything it should turn the same. If the steering box turns the same then I would have to see what the alignment specs are. If all is good there then I think it's because of the spool. You loose a lot of turning radius with a spool. An awful lot! Absolutely no place for a spool on the street.

I almost bought aje and then after further review there geometry is not very good. I bought a Bob's pro fab front end and it aligned very well car just ran 9.06 @ 148 and was straight and handled awesome. And yes it has a spool and I drive it on the street. I never try to turn tight a tight radius,b it it will if I needed it to. I had a altercation front end before which was awesome but it didn't have enough front travel. Didn't work good with cal tracs and 10.5 tire. Hope this helps, I would try to get your $ back.

I will be installing a Detroit Locker today to also see if it helps with my turning radius, plus changing Ring and Pinion to 3:75 from 4:10's...dang thing wont even hook in 4 th gear! I hope this helps some with radius and ease of turning, this thing steers like a bear.

-
Back