aligning the door

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Whats the best way to align the doors. 2 door Scamp. I am going to start a quarter panel replacement. I need the door on for alignment. Never done this before need some input.

Lots of variables, does the door fit the car now? Is there damage in the area of the door and quarter?

Hang the door, make sure you have some body shims, pull the striker out of the car. Adjust to fit the gaps using the up and down front to back adjustments on the a pillar. Shim out as needed. Fit new quarter to door, more adjustments might be needed with a new quarter.

Yes it fits. No damage to the door or the quarter where they meet at the back of the door. The quarter panel is rusted and Im doing a skin replacement. I plan to join the quarter to the similar to the attached photo (no that isnt the car im working on just a photo of similar).

I plan to cut it out and but weld the new one.

Attachments

• 70_dodge_dart407.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 220
Bring this back up. Body work is pretty much done. But Id like to align the doors before painting. The back of the driver side door needs to come up and the bottom needs to go in. Ive never done this before.

remove the door jamb striker post to be sure it's not affecting the alignment. loosen up the three top hinge to body bolts slightly then
loosen the bottom ones so as to allow movement of the hinge raise the back of the door where you want it and tighten the bolts you may have to do this a few times to get it right. once the door is square in the opening
to adjust in and out from top to bottom loosen the two top hinge to door
bolts slightly and loosen the three bottom hinge to door bolts to allow movement of door to hinge joint, get the door aligned to quarter panel
and tighten all bolts this may have to be done a few times also to get right. be patient this usually takes some time to get right and you will
a friend to help out. hope this helps

I have to suggest you rebuild the door hinges or have them rebuilt first. Then align the door.
I have found that hinge renew is often all that is required. May never need to move the stricker post.

I have to suggest you rebuild the door hinges or have them rebuilt first. Then align the door.
I have found that hinge renew is often all that is required. May never need to move the stricker post.

Who rebuilds hinges or what is the best way to rebuild them?

You might do the hinge pin and bushing service yourself. There is a member here who does total rebuild.

-
Back