Alignment advice/specs

-

djais1801

Reaction score
My car has manual discs (wildwood) and 73+ hardware. 4spd manual steering- The wheel/tire setup looks like **** in my opinion.
In addition, the steering box was shot...so that was replaced by a FirmFeel box...and planning to change the wheel/tire combo, but here's my question:

Do I get the alignment with the current set up...or wait until I change the set up?

Lastly, do I need specs to give to alignment shop?
Current set up:
fronts 15x7 215 70 15
rears 15x8 245 60 15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Potential New set up:
fronts 15x6 steelies 3.0BS (wheel vintiques) 215 65 15 or 205 70 15
rears 15x8 steelies 4.5BS 275 60 15

Last edited:
Yep wait or you'll just be doing it again.
The old specs were for bias ply tires so use this to go by, but I think up to about 3.5 on the caster is nicer for the Perf/street.

alignment-specifications.jpg

First off, wait until you get everything setup the way you want.

When ready yes give the alignment shop specs. If you don't you will most likely regret it. Stock specs for our cars are NEGATIVE caster. You want positive caster, at least a couple degrees. If you change to aftermarket UCAs you can get more positive caster. Even more if you have power steering.

Best of luck finding a decent alignment shop. Most don't know how to work on our cars. They need to set the specs, move the car around/drive it around, and check them again, and possibly again after that.

First off, wait until you get everything setup the way you want.

When ready yes give the alignment shop specs. If you don't you will most likely regret it. Stock specs for our cars are NEGATIVE caster. You want positive caster, at least a couple degrees. If you change to aftermarket UCAs you can get more positive caster. Even more if you have power steering.

Best of luck finding a decent alignment shop. Most don't know how to work on our cars. They need to set the specs, move the car around/drive it around, and check them again, and possibly again after that.
its a 4spd car w manual steering

Yep wait or you'll just be doing it again.
The old specs were for bias ply tires so use this to go by, but I think up to about 3.5 on the caster is nicer for the Perf/street.

View attachment 1715027857
would these specs apply to a 71 duster aswell?

and being a street car (408 CUI grocery getter) i would want the typical street performance, right?

would these specs apply to a 71 duster aswell?

and being a street car (408 CUI grocery getter) i would want the typical street performance, right?

I would think so, but obviously each car is going to act a little different, but just go by the street specs and it should be fine.

I used firm feels uca' s which have more positives caster built into them. And when I called Dick @ firm feel for alignment spec recommendation, I told him I was goin to drive like an idiot on the street and might do a road course here or there. He still said give it as much positive caster as it will take, as much negative camber, and zero toe. I opted for 1/16 toe. I love how it handles. But Kiss is right good luck finding a good shop. One of the best around this Podunk town could'nt do it because the original specs were'nt on his computer! That was after I furnished my specs?? The next shop could'nt get the wheel targets on because my rear wheel well isn't round and open like a duster. I took it home did it myself. Took it to the third shop, they helped me get my steering wheel dead straight and said everything else is good.OK!!! I still say I was winging it.

I used firm feels uca' s which have more positives caster built into them. And when I called Dick @ firm feel for alignment spec recommendation, I told him I was goin to drive like an idiot on the street and might do a road course here or there. He still said give it as much positive caster as it will take, as much negative camber, and zero toe. I opted for 1/16 toe. I love how it handles. But Kiss is right good luck finding a good shop. One of the best around this Podunk town could'nt do it because the original specs were'nt on his computer! That was after I furnished my specs?? The next shop could'nt get the wheel targets on because my rear wheel well isn't round and open like a duster. I took it home did it myself. Took it to the third shop, they helped me get my steering wheel dead straight and said everything else is good.OK!!! I still say I was winging it.

I do my own as well.
The only reason anyone touches my car is to mount and balance tires, and I don't even like that very much.:D

Current set up:
fronts 15x7 215 70 15
rears 15x8 245 60 15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Potential New set up:
fronts 15x6 steelies 3.0BS (wheel vintiques) 215 65 15 or 205 70 15
rears 15x8 steelies 4.5BS 275 60 15

what don't ya like about the current rim size? why going down to a 6" rim? may just want to change the backspace of the 7" rim..

if everything is done except changing the rim and tires i don't see the big deal in getting it aligned now unless the rake of the car is going to change a lot...

the chart is on the conservative side but you would probably be happy with it.

i'm going to do our dart at:

camber: L-.25 R-.25
caster: L+5 R+4.5
toe: 1/16 toe-in

alignment-specifications-jpg.1715027857.jpg

what don't ya like about the current rim size? I don't like that the wheels are out past the front fender and the front wheels are taller than the rear.
FullSizeRender%201_zpsravcmarg.jpg

FullSizeRender%202_zpsg2qrvz8q.jpg

why going down to a 6" rim? may just want to change the backspace of the 7" rim..

if everything is done except changing the rim and tires i don't see the big deal in getting it aligned now unless the rake of the car is going to change a lot...

I don't like that the wheels are out past the front fender and the front wheels are taller than the rear.
fullsizerender-201_zpsravcmarg-jpg.1715027938.jpg

yea that looks goofy.. its not the width of the wheel thats the issue.. its the poor backspacing they have. you can get a 15x7 with 4.75 under the front with the stock style 73-up stuff.. would have to measure for the wilwood i guess..

-
Back