All Confused HELP!!!

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am trying to hook up my engine electrical. I am installing a 6AL MSD box and a ready to run MSD distributor and using an MSD coil. I have installed all new amp meter gauges in the custom dash on a bench. I also wanted to dump my amp meter for a new voltmeter using the MAD wiring diagram I have. I am confused as to how to tie all these together. I did splice the black and red amp meter wires together with solder under the dash. I did route the red and black thru the bulkhead by drilling these out and passing new extended red and black thru the firewall. Now at this point I assume I will be placing both the black and red under the nut on the starter relay which will be switched with the ignition key. I also see a yellow wire which also goes on the relay. My new battery cable has the large cable for the battery post and also a 10 guage red wire which I assume goes to that same small switched post on the relay. My battery cable also has a 10ga black wire on the battery end? Where does that go?? Now I am reading that I should run a 10ga wire from the alternator directly to the large terminal on the starter relay?? I will need to install a fuseable link before it attaches to the relay??? Back at the alternator in the brand new M&H engine harness I bought, I have the two small green and blue clip on plugs for the alternator and the large one as well. Am I to assume that I will no longer be hooking the stock heavy plug onto the alternator because of the direct wire to the battery?? But I still have to hood the blue and green to the terminals on the alternator??? I understand these are what goes to the voltage regulator??? I took out the orange box in lieu of the MSD box. So should I just tape up the orange box plug in the M&H harness or do I need to do something else there?? I also have in the M&H harness a 10ga black wire which has a blue spade connector and fusible link blue wire coming off it?? What is that and where is it to go to, or is it redundant in what I am trying to do?? Man this is confusing, or I am making it more than what it needs to be??? HELP>>>>>>

I rewired my 91 duster. made my own wire looms. Instead of using that damned firewall connector, I made and used this connector box. In place of the connector, I took a piece of linoleum and drilled 6rows of 4 holes and labeled the A - Z (same as the connectors).

Forget about the schematic you found. Blow it up to 24 x 36 inches and mount it on a piece of cardboard. You will see better. Also you will find that wires L and T are reversed on the main drawing but not on subsequent drawings. Be aware
conector box.jpg
schematic big and small.jpg
etter.
conector box.jpg
schematic big and small.jpg

Also I may have the Schematics for your car. If I knew what it was, I could scan them for you and post them

Can you picture the battery cable? You may be confusing the wire which goes from the starter relay "square" screw down to the starter solenoid. This would be a separate wire with an eyelet on each end, but may be molded / wrapped with the main cable. ORIGINAL type cables had the starter end molded together, so the main bolted to the big stud, and the solenoid wire bolted to the solenoid.

Since you are upgrading wiring, it makes NO sense to run no10 from the alternator, most especially if you have gone to a larger alt. Use at least no 8, or another way around it is to use two or three no 10 in parallel

The red and black at the starter relay are both HOT not switched with the key. If I understand "what you did" the red and black are the old ammeter wires? You now have them in parallel, which means these two wires are doing one job......feeding power into the interior of the car

Now matter how you do so, the battery, starter, starter relay, alternator, and the power feed (red and black) into the interior must be all tied together The thing is there are different ways to rout this

Post a photo of the unknown wire in your new harness. It sounds like voltage regulator hookup

PLEASE POST THE YEAR MAKE AND MODEL

Can you picture the battery cable? You may be confusing the wire which goes from the starter relay "square" screw down to the starter solenoid. This would be a separate wire with an eyelet on each end, but may be molded / wrapped with the main cable. ORIGINAL type cables had the starter end molded together, so the main bolted to the big stud, and the solenoid wire bolted to the solenoid.

Since you are upgrading wiring, it makes NO sense to run no10 from the alternator, most especially if you have gone to a larger alt. Use at least no 8, or another way around it is to use two or three no 10 in parallel

The red and black at the starter relay are both HOT not switched with the key. If I understand "what you did" the red and black are the old ammeter wires? You now have them in parallel, which means these two wires are doing one job......feeding power into the interior of the car

Now matter how you do so, the battery, starter, starter relay, alternator, and the power feed (red and black) into the interior must be all tied together The thing is there are different ways to rout this

Post a photo of the unknown wire in your new harness. It sounds like voltage regulator hookup

PLEASE POST THE YEAR MAKE AND MODEL

BLACK OK, My car is a 1972 factory a/c 340 demon. Here are some photos. First question. This is the stock harness from M&H. Because I am going to run a direct 8 or 10 ga wire from the alternator to the positive battery post on the starter relay (or should I go directly to the positive battery post?) should I just cut and dead end the BLACK positive wire on this original harness. I believe the other two wires go to the alternator fields for the voltage regulator, correct?

IMG_3957_4757.JPG

Last edited:
OK, Here are some photos. First question. This is the stock harness from M&H. Because I am going to run a direct 8 or 10 ga wire from the alternator to the positive battery post on the starter relay (or should I go directly to the positive battery post?) should I just cut and dead end the positive wire on this original harness. I believe the other two wires go to the alternator fields for the voltage regulator, correct?

View attachment 1714943353

Secondly, this is the part of the harness which goes to the orange box? I have removed it to install the 6AL shown. My question here is do I still need the red wire and the yellow wire and where do they go? . What is the black wire? And most important, do I just bundle up the orange box plug and not worry about any of those wires? Keep in mind that I have completed the MAD voltage install and have the heavy red and black wires run directly thru the bulkhead holes I drilled.
IMG_3959_4759.JPG

Last edited:
Third, Red wire coming out of the harness with the blue fusible link wire connected goes where?
IMG_3961_4761.JPG

BLACK OK, My car is a 1972 factory a/c 340 demon. Here are some photos. First question. This is the stock harness from M&H. Because I am going to run a direct 8 or 10 ga wire from the alternator to the positive battery post on the starter relay (or should I go directly to the positive battery post?) should I just cut and dead end the BLACK positive wire on this original harness. I believe the other two wires go to the alternator fields for the voltage regulator, correct?

View attachment 1714943353

This is going to depend. If you eliminate the ammeter, the black would normally become a parallel with the fuse link to feed juice into the interior through the bulkhead connector. If you are leaving the bulkhead connector "as is" I would keep the black. If you are feeding a larger gauge wire direct through the bulkheead connector, you could eliminate that. This wire normally goes through the bulkhead to one side of the ammeter

EDIT I'm starting to see what you did. You have a nice big new "red" through the bulkhead AKA "mad" right? That fuse link should splice to that red

Last edited:
Secondly, this is the part of the harness which goes to the orange box? I have removed it to install the 6AL shown. My question here is do I still need the red wire and the yellow wire and where do they go? . What is the black wire? And most important, do I just bundle up the orange box plug and not worry about any of those wires? Keep in mind that I have completed the MAD voltage install and have the heavy red and black wires run directly thru the bulkhead holes I drilled.View attachment 1714943356

Can't tell for sure, I believe the brown goes down to the brake warning switch down below the master on the brake distribution

Yellow should be "start" on the starter relay. Red goes to the "big stud" on the starter relay. If you untape the harness you can eliminate the big connector for the ignition

-
Back