All cylinders filling with water

-

HemiTM

Reaction score
When we started the freshly rebuilt 360 the other day, it ran for 5 minutes and got up to 240 degrees. Shut it off at that point. While it was cooling down, I decided to take a look at the oil. It looked like coffee creamer. Drained the oil and removed the filter at that point. Pulled the # 8 plug and noticed I had water in the cylinder. Pulled the M1 manifold and resealed the water ports along with new intake manifold gaskets. Poured oil through the motor and drained it. Manually circulated oil through the motor and I feel we had it cleaned out the best we could. Put everything back together and let it sit about 24 hours. This morning I went out and started the motor. It ran great for about 90 seconds then started to miss. I pulled out the #8 plug and water gushed from the cylinder. So at that point I pulled all the plugs. Removed the coil wire and turned over the motor. It looked like a fire boat shooting water from all nozzles.

At this point I have removed the passenger side head and am working on the driver side. The heads are going in to be resurfaced tomorrow. Could 240 degrees blow new head gaskets? Did I miss something in the assembly? I am stumped. Hoping to find the problem and fix it so I can make it to MATS. :banghead:

you said WATER not antifreeze right?? cause if you have antifreeze in there you'll really in trouble. good luck

IMO I would say that the head gasket was not properly sealed at initial start up. And I agree with 412 you are lucky if it is just water. That really sucks about that new motor though.

Only water, no antifreeze.
good cause antifreeze will kill all the bearings in your motor, looks like your gonna have to tear it apart and double check everything, the first time I started mine up it got real hot over 220 so I shut it down, then someone told me to use a hose and run cold tap water over the radiator to keep it cool during the cam breakin so that's what I did and I ran it for about 30 minutes with no more heat issues, hope that helps some...

I really don't understand why you had water in all 8 cyl. Were the heads resurfaced before you put them on? If it got hot enough to warp a head you might get water in a couple, but all 8? Did you have the right head gaskets? were they torqued down properly? Have the heads been cut alot and the intake not cut to match and causing water to enter the ports?

did you by chance just have harden'd valve seats installed in your heads? It's possible they machined to deep into the head and in to the water jacket. if so, water will be pulled into the cylinder right around the seats......I had a machine shop ruin a set of heads on me, because they did this and did not tell me. They ended up replacing my heads!

I really don't understand why you had water in all 8 cyl. Were the heads resurfaced before you put them on? If it got hot enough to warp a head you might get water in a couple, but all 8? Did you have the right head gaskets? were they torqued down properly? Have the heads been cut alot and the intake not cut to match and causing water to enter the ports?
Running the correct head gasket. Torqued at 95. Heads and manifold matched up.

you take the plugs out and it spit water out of all 8 holes?

got a leakdown gauge to see if you put air to the cylinder where the air is coming out....

This may be one for the archives...........Even a thin gasket can take up some slack from a warped head/deck surface? I have a hard time believing the temp caused it. If you see anything unusual during teardown, post some pics. Man, i do feel for ya'.

nah, no way...look over the intake manifold real carefully to determine it isn't cracked...for it to fill all cylinders with water is crazy....other than they cut every seat too deep..I'm scratchin my head on this one...did they deck the block? surface the heads? mill the intake to match?
Not a clue. Thinking head gaskets blew when it got to 240 on initial start up.

If all 8 were full, I have a hard time believing it was not hydrolocked.

Did you verify that the head bolt holes were clean to the bottom with no oil or coolant in them when you torqued your head bolts?

Did you verify that the head bolt holes were clean to the bottom with no oil or coolant in them when you torqued your head bolts?
Brand new build. Prior to studs being placed in block, everything was clean and dry.

man I feel for you looks like it has most of us stumped, be real interesting to hear what it turn out to be...

charge the cylinder with air and see where is it coming out....pretty simple

I was thinking the same thing. I know from experience with power boats, a cylinder even partially full of water will do irreparable damage on a compression stroke. I can't imagine what the internals would look like with water in all 8.

Good luck.

Russ

charge the cylinder with air and see where is it coming out....pretty simple
good idea but it sounds like h has the manifold off and one of the cylinder heads, what is this a 318, 340, 360?? what all have you done to it?? machine work that is

-
Back