All cylinders filling with water

-
Yes, this can happen anytime water enters a cylinder on an intake stroke. Water, like oil will not compress. Something else has to. Bearings will crush, connecting rods will twist or pistons will break.

Worked at a shop that had a customer take a motor we built for him and hydro locked it. Boss had me take the heads off, I was standing over it amazed that all the pistons on the one bank had turned roughly 90*. Course the customer claimed he did not take the truck into the muck....

At this point im calling "BS" on all 8 cylinders filled with water from a guide leaking on #2 cylinder.It is impossible to have enough water from one head to fill all the holes on the other bank ,plus it ran fine for a few minutes prior.The water would have to fill that cylinder ,then fill the port in the head ,then fill the intake port ,then fill the plenum to get to the other side .Keep in mind how many of the intake valves musta been closed while it was shut off ,but the water still managed to drench these cylinders.This is absoulte Hogwash .Water doesnt seep uphill and the plenum is higher than any part of the cooling sytem .BTW ,i cranked up my Dart a few mintures ago and everything seemed as usual (70 psi oil pressure ,no odd noises ,etc).I took a quick glance under the hood afterwards and noticed the oil filter was missing .The oil filter had sumhow found its way into the carb ,passed through the motor ,and was stuck in one of the header primaries ,but remarkably the 408 ran fine and by sum miracle it didnt lose a drop of oil .While were telling fishing stories ,i thought i would add mine ...

There is pressure involved.

Pics would be good.

April 1 is not far off.

Here's what I think.

Motor hot and shut off. Water under pressure, valve closed.

Guide leaks.

Port fills with water, reaches floor of intake. Single plane intake. Water plane intake.

All 8 full.

And isn't there a little bit of a "blow-back effect" of long duration cams to possibly send a little bit of it back into the intake manifold at low RPM?

boat motor, stalled in reverse, with no flapper on exhaust. do it every time.

At this point im calling "BS" on all 8 cylinders filled with water from a guide leaking on #2 cylinder.It is impossible to have enough water from one head to fill all the holes on the other bank ,plus it ran fine for a few minutes prior.The water would have to fill that cylinder ,then fill the port in the head ,then fill the intake port ,then fill the plenum to get to the other side .Keep in mind how many of the intake valves musta been closed while it was shut off ,but the water still managed to drench these cylinders.This is absoulte Hogwash .Water doesnt seep uphill and the plenum is higher than any part of the cooling sytem .BTW ,i cranked up my Dart a few mintures ago and everything seemed as usual (70 psi oil pressure ,no odd noises ,etc).I took a quick glance under the hood afterwards and noticed the oil filter was missing .The oil filter had sumhow found its way into the carb ,passed through the motor ,and was stuck in one of the header primaries ,but remarkably the 408 ran fine and by sum miracle it didnt lose a drop of oil .While were telling fishing stories ,i thought i would add mine ...

lol.

I just recieved a call from the new machine shop. #2 and #4 had been drilled to much during the initial head work. I was told that #6 and #8 looked good. I was told when they were pressure tested after being repaired and that 80 psi was holding fine. I will pick up the head later today and install it in the morning. Updates to follow.

OK.....here is the verdict. We have finished the run in on the motor. No water leaks at all in any cylinder. Confirmed with the camera. It was the problem stated in the previous post. The car does need some fine tuning. Temp. never got over 210, and the cooled right down. Got the stank eye from all the neighbors.......Life is good.

And once again I can assure you this is not a April Fool's joke.

Glad to hear you got it running. Once you get the timing all dialed in the TEMP will more than likely come down.

So you still headed to MATS?? We will tune it for you right there in the parking lot!! "No Charge" :thumblef:

Glad to hear you got it running. Once you get the timing all dialed in the TEMP will more than likely come down.

So you still headed to MATS?? We will tune it for you right there in the parking lot!! "No Charge" :thumblef:
Wish I could. But all the rooms got booked. Taking momma to Pismo Beach for a few days. She has had it with my being p.o.`d and wants me away from the Dart for a few days. I understand where she`s coming from. Gotta keep momma happy!!

Wish I could. But all the rooms got booked. Taking momma to Pismo Beach for a few days. She has had it with my being p.o.`d and wants me away from the Dart for a few days. I understand where she`s coming from. Gotta keep momma happy!!

Yeah I bet she is sick of that car about right now, it was a long haul for you!

If you change your mind there are cheap rooms here about a 30 minute drive to the strip. Like 46.00 per night and they have an all you can eat seafood buffet on Friday night for $10.95 per person. King Crab, Shrimp & Prime Rib. Everytime we go to Lake Mead we CRUNCH at that place trying to put them out of business. It hasn't worked yet..... LOL

http://haciendaonline.com

Glad to hear you have it figured out ! I said all along you had somthing wrong with the heads....

Took it for a drive around the block. Runs like a champ. Setting off car alarms all that good stuff :evil4:
I did this once about three am. People were running out of their houses in their underwear screaming at me. Old people. Jeeesh!

I dunno whats more awesome the accomodations and buffet Mad Dart is talking/bragging about, or you getting it fixed!! Love fixing problems and Prime Rib! Good work!

-
Back