All for .370 lift and under ........

-
I've cut the divider down, dulled the corners, on the underside also.
Which is better in your opinion, the full knock down of the plenum divider or or a small notch. Same idea as the ld340.
Being you can run either single or dual..I would only notch it..or run the single plane all together. I've never been a fan of wiping the divider out completely in a dual-plane.

The best way to increase fuel economy and performance is to lose weight.
The second best way is to improve aerodynamics.

By starting with that van, you've shot both in the foot.

I really missed seeing posts like this from 2008.
Not.
You don't think the van is the best candidate ??? huh.... :realcrazy:

I've cut the divider down, dulled the corners, on the underside also.
I have not modified any iron 318 2 barrel intake before. That said..
Which is better in your opinion, the full knock down of the plenum divider or or a small notch. Same idea as the ld340.
Being you can run either single or dual..I would only notch it..or run the single plane all together. I've never been a fan of wiping the divider out completely in a dual-plane.
So what did it feel like, good or can ya tell?

I notched it down 3/8". The BBD is the breaking point (bottle neck) of the entire thing. It's a slant six carb when it comes to performing in my opinion. I just tried to give each cylinder access to both barrels for higher RPM (what's that, 4200 rpms? lol) without giving up throttle response.

I notched it down 3/8". The BBD is the breaking point (bottle neck) of the entire thing. It's a slant six carb when it comes to performing in my opinion. I just tried to give each cylinder access to both barrels for higher RPM (what's that, 4200 rpms? lol) without giving up throttle response.
Maybe get ahold of a carter 2 brl or holley 2brl from a mid 60's 383 car. Not that it would perform better than say ...a holley 390 holley or 500 eddy down low...it def would give some more top end...and or more parts to swap for richer mix.
The thing with the carter 2 brls from these is the lack of rods n jets. I sand papered mine. I remember wayyyyy back when I finally got the power up top... I had mistakenly sanded too much from the rods already and had blackish plugs that never cleaned up. I was 18 and getting vague advice with little explanation as to the why and how...if I had that part I'd have licked it and spread that magic to others to enjoy.
In reality those carter bbd/bbs..er whatever are only 290 cfm...that's a little light on cfm for a powerhouse.lol

Maybe get ahold of a carter 2 brl or holley 2brl from a mid 60's 383 car. Not that it would perform better than say ...a holley 390 holley or 500 eddy down low...it def would give some more top end...and or more parts to swap for richer mix.
The thing with the carter 2 brls from these is the lack of rods n jets. I sand papered mine. I remember wayyyyy back when I finally got the power up top... I had mistakenly sanded too much from the rods already and had blackish plugs that never cleaned up. I was 18 and getting vague advice with little explanation as to the why and how...if I had that part I'd have licked it and spread that magic to others to enjoy.
In reality those carter bbd/bbs..er whatever are only 290 cfm...that's a little light on cfm for a powerhouse.lol
I've used the 360 2bbl intake/carb on 318's before. It does wake them up a little, especially off idle stomp. However, on this project I'm committed to sticking with the factory '77 318 2bbl set up. I've not done this type of project before, so I'm excited (I know, it don't take much) to see what change, if any, I'm able to achieve.

Hmmm drilling to the next size and then soldering the rods...then sand size them.
Go off of the edelbrock numbers/dimensions for pairing.

Last edited:
Originally, I was supposed to just "freshen up" the heads last year. Didn't happen. This year for sure. Then the race with the Hoosier Garage Van. Then the high gas prices. So I thought, with the high gas prices and the race, why not see if I can do a few minor things to help out both ?? Such this project was born :rolleyes:

I've used the 360 2bbl intake/carb on 318's before. It does wake them up a little, especially off idle stomp. However, on this project I'm committed to sticking with the factory '77 318 2bbl set up. I've not done this type of project before, so I'm excited (I know, it don't take much) to see what change, if any, I'm able to achieve.
Different things draw my interests randomly. I'm always curious about particular mods on this n that..
I think it will be a good example of how important a well prepped, not modified...but well prepped set of stock heads are, even to a stock engine. The difference will show how lacking the heads were from the factory.
So many have heads "gone through, or rebuilt" and no focus or attention to perfecting the 'simple/basics' .. n the motor is just different...smoother idle..'sealing valves '..but worse flowing than stock and no top end.
This should do better at all rpms. Granted it'd be nice to know if the lower blend is the way to go...flow bench.. as it would be easier to pinpoint than changing the intake back for a untouched stock peice.

That has me thinking... maybe do all the things you're doing but at 1st...use a bone stock intake that you have laying around only gasket match it perhaps.. after that test... put the version with the plenum modifications on it. To isolate that modification. Either way good luck Tim

For those that haven't seen the video, here is the mod I made to the intake. The chamfer you see on the top I also did on the bottom, but you can't see that.

DSCN5179[1].JPG

Even one of the stock slant 6 cams had like .440 lift.
exactly. I believe stock 318 magnums had like .421 lift. That's roller so not completely comparable but still. .370? That thing is WHEEZING

exactly. I believe stock 318 magnums had like .421 lift. That's roller so not completely comparable but still. .370? That thing is WHEEZING
Indeed, but maybe for mileage that's what he wants. But that's so low lift I think somehow it'd have diminishing returns.

Look up the specs on a factory LA 318 flat tappet cam. All are under .400 lift. Now add in the factory poor geometry and subtract another .015-.025. I'll be lucky to have .370 of actual lift.

Look up the specs on a factory LA 318 flat tappet cam. All are under .400 lift. Now add in the factory poor geometry and subtract another .015-.025. I'll be lucky to have .370 of actual lift.
Is that what you WANT? I honestly believe you're going to cut efficiency, which will reduce mileage too. Try it and see. Who knows?

Is that what you WANT? I honestly believe you're going to cut efficiency, which will reduce mileage too. Try it and see. Who knows?
For this project, we want to use the factory 318. Just some minor mods that we've shown to the factory equipment to see if there is a gain.

For this project, we want to use the factory 318. Just some minor mods that we've shown to the factory equipment to see if there is a gain.
You mean like people have done for the past fifty plus years?

Just a couple things I will (or might?) try to the bbd. Getting close.

Just a couple things I will (or might?) try to the bbd. Getting close.
Decided to try the bbd as it was first. I really want to gage and test what differences were made under the carb and see how the van responds. It's back together :)

-
Back