All Valiaint experts help me out

-

alindeman1989

Reaction score
ok my 64 slant 6 valiant has a weird high pitch winding noise comming form the speedo/front area when i give it gas but also when it is at a steady speed. What the hell is that, and how do i fix it? Also when i put the car into gear it makes a clunk noise. the u-joint seem to be ok so what is that all about? the car is a pish button tranny btw. Also i am looking to upgrade the rims and tires soon. what is the largest rim i can go without body modes. rolling fender is ok. i was thinking 16x7 with like a 235/45/16.

My dart has the same noise your talking about, on your dash, my best guess it's the alternator gauge...they go bad a lot.

if so, I guess you can just bypass the gauge. But make sure its that whats making the noise wait till someone else responds lol

There was a bulletin once about speedo cables growing in leangth and pushing on the speedo head. The fix was simplly file or otherwise cut about an 1/8" off the end of it.
To remove the slip yoke from the trans and put a hand full of grease in it may cure that clunk noise. Cushions the splines :)

Jack the rear tires off the ground and pull the emergency brack out.
Put jack stand under the car!! I don't want to hear you got bad hurt.
Put the trans. in neutral twist the drive shaft back and forth until you find out where the slack is, it could be you pinion gear has slack in it.
Take it out of gear and grab a rear tire and turn it back and forth like a steering wheel, do booth side's till you hear or feel slack some where.
It helps to have a friend do this so you can watch the drive line its self.
Then look at your trans. mount and see if the rubber mount is gone or just wore out. then move to the yoke where the drive shaft goes to the trans.
put the car in park and see how much play you have there.

1 question douse the high pitch winding noise happen when you are siting still and not moving and make the noise when you give it gas in neutral.

-
Back