Alone have an old project that they never completed?

-

68gtxman

I used to reMember
Reaction score
I started building a garage and dining room addition 26 years ago and finally got the dining room to the spackle stage. I have been using the garage for the whole 26 years (no Sheetrock was ever installed on the walls or ceiling), but the dining room was never even sheetrocked. It was a great utility space to store the pool toys and yard crap, so I had to empty it out so I could finish it. We bought a pre-made Amish shed this past summer that we put next to the pool deck, so I emptied the new room and started the sheetrock.

THe new room will no longer be the dining room that the ex-wife wanted, but instead it will be the new home theater that my new wife (and me!) would like.

Now I'm at the tail end of sanding the spackle (what a mess!). I tried using a wet sponge, but it just wouldn't cut the spackle very well. Does anyone have any tips?

Does anyone else have an old project that they just never got around to completing???

26 years... At least I don't feel too bad now. My shop is about 10 years old and still not finished. Now there is so much $HIT in it that it would really be a huge job.

26 years... wow, what happened for it to take that long? It does sound like you gained a better addition by waiting it out tho.

26 years... wow, what happened for it to take that long? It does sound like you gained a better addition by waiting it out tho.

The ex complained to me "you're always working on that stupid thing, I hate it!". Since the dining room was for her, I said "it's done now!" since the garage was useable.

Yes, a home theater is a better use than a formal dining room. We never entertain anyone for dinner, so we never did need a formal dining room. Stupid ex!

I do at my mother-in-laws house! I went from room to room upstairs redoing each one but did not do the hall side of each door trim! The next job is to remove all the plaster from the hall and drywall it, and its 100 years old, huge, and gonna be just me! Been putting it off for a couple years now, but if I get hungry this winter ill be over there stat!!! Geof

I could list all of them, but that would just become yet another uncompleted project...........

I started building a garage and dining room addition 26 years ago and finally got the dining room to the spackle stage. I have been using the garage for the whole 26 years (no Sheetrock was ever installed on the walls or ceiling), but the dining room was never even sheetrocked. It was a great utility space to store the pool toys and yard crap, so I had to empty it out so I could finish it. We bought a pre-made Amish shed this past summer that we put next to the pool deck, so I emptied the new room and started the sheetrock.

THe new room will no longer be the dining room that the ex-wife wanted, but instead it will be the new home theater that my new wife (and me!) would like.

Now I'm at the tail end of sanding the spackle (what a mess!). I tried using a wet sponge, but it just wouldn't cut the spackle very well. Does anyone have any tips?

Does anyone else have an old project that they just never got around to completing???
Absolutely! I bought a 67 GTX in 1996 to restore. I sure love looking at it, and I put wheels on it in 2006. As far as I got!

Tips well if you are taping hopefully you got a 1/2 drill and mixer and you are thinning the mid with water ? Use a/p lite or lite topping it sands easy .
You can use a sanding sponge or a sanding pole with paper 100 to 150 for grit .
If you use a hopper to texture thin the mud down to a pancake batter thickness .
I'm sure there is YouTube videos you can watch ?
Don't tell anybody but I started in drywall in 1989.
I am a contractor but do as little drywall as possible .
Best of luck !!
Jim

Use drywall mud, not spackle. It responds better to a sponge.

Ayyyyyyyyy! I am truly tired of sanding the spackle! What a mess and will it ever be over? I've been doing this job for over a week now and it doesn't seem that I am getting close to finishing! I probably should have hired a spackler to do it.

I have several unfinished projects. Short term is the 72 Challenger 2 year ago tore apart for inner fender replace. One year to finish that then found engine low on comp; so sent block in for boring. Got it back now to get it assembled and back in car.
Long term project is 48 Chrysler coupe that needs crank removed for bad rod journal in 6 cyl. That was 10 years ago but got put behind a Duster for resto, the Chally, and Cuda for maintenance. Then a move, shop build, and house addition. Poor forgotten Chrysler.

The ex complained to me "you're always working on that stupid thing, I hate it!". Since the dining room was for her, I said "it's done now!" since the garage was useable.

Yes, a home theater is a better use than a formal dining room. We never entertain anyone for dinner, so we never did need a formal dining room. Stupid ex!

I can totally relate to that! Reminds me of MY ex. LOL
I was working on converting an unfinished attic in our old 1918 home into a living area. I took a break from working on my cars to do that. She complained that I spent too much time upstairs working on the house so i quit. Finally dumped her, kept the house and then tore the roof off and had a big jacuzzi brought up there with a crane, vaulted the ceilings, added a fireplace and made it into a big master suite for my (then single) self.

Sometimes you just can't please certain people. She would even complain when I would work on HER car! Dumping her was the single best thing I did for myself and that happened in 1994. She is still making people miserable and is very good at it.

Here's an update. The room is nearly complete! Just finishing touches left to do. Still need to pick and install curtains; figure out if we want a door or curtain to separate this room from the kitchen; build and install a remote controlled actuator to open/close the door to the projector; and install the motorized shades for the skylights (awaiting delivery).

Here are some photos:

photo3_zps096b7d45.jpg

photo1_zps0ee8d558.jpg

photo2_zps4c387cf6.jpg

photo2_zpse95a487c.jpg

photo3_zps470837b3.jpg

I just love the 125" screen! It makes Netflix just as good as going to the movie theater.:blob:

We made a theater room for the kids at church. We made the floor stair step up, and got real theater seats from a theater that was replacing theirs. They gave the seats to us, and they had just been refurbished too. We also added surround sound, a large plasma and a popcorn machine. it makes a awesome little theater.

I have a 65 Falcon I started. Havent touched it in 6 years.:sad1:

.....someday......:burnout:

-
Back