Alsa Stretch Chrome vs Innate Chrome Paint

-

nicamarvin

Reaction score
well guys I got myself a sample of Alsa's NEW Stretch Chrome film and it looks like Alsa used their best chrome paint(Mirra Chrome) instead of their Spray On Chrome Fx chemicals(which I will be testing in another thread) I kinda had this feeling so I went ahead and bought a Innate Chrome Paint kit also(with their own protective clear) and I will be testing it against alsa's best.

the Contenders first face off..:cool:

Innate Chrome Paint and protective clear
InnateChrome1.jpg

Alsa Stretch Chrome film
StretchChrome1.jpg

StretchChrome2.jpg

I'm not new to chrome painting, I have been playing with Chrome Paint and Spray on Chrome for a few years now, below spoons where painted years ago with a chinese brand rattle can chrome paint.(to practice my technique)

spoons3.jpg

cleared.jpg

both of these chrome paints will be tested with a protective clear coat as Alsa's Stretch Chrome comes already sealed wit their clear..

Ok I was going to use plastic spoons for this test, but somebody wanted me to fix their motorbike rear view mirror covers, so it was a good time to put this guys to the test..

this is how all starts, a perfect or near perfect mirror like black base coat(my all time favorite and the one I use for all of my jobs, 2k Urethane automotive grade Sherwin williams clear coat, with a black base)

glossiest Black
BlackBikeRearViewMirror.jpg

Innate Chrome Paint after 2 hour dry time and buff with polishing towel(included in the kit)
InnateChromeBikeRearViewMirror.jpg

BikeRearViewMirror.jpg

Innate Chrome after 4 hour dry time(Innate says you have to wait 24 hours) and with their protective Clear coat, which is by far the clearest clear I have seen on my life and it works better than Future water based sealer
MotoClear2.jpg

BikeRearViewMirrorWithMotoClear3.jpg

now vs Alsa Stretch Chrome Film(which is just their mirra chrome paint in a film)

I must say I just dont have a use for their film as of now, I could not get it to work nice on this piece.. but you can see how good is their paint and clear..(both Innate and Alsa are cleared here)
AlsaStrechChromeFilm1.jpg

AlsaFilmvsInnate1.jpg

as you can see seems like Alsa Chrome paint is a little bit better, but it has a highly polished aluminum tone of color, where as the Innate chrome shade its closer to real chrome( its abit darker), so far I prefer paint over any film..

a few videos coming soon..

Innate chrome No Clear..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZMiI9vO15s"]Innate Chrome Paint - YouTube[/ame]

Innate Chrome with their protective clear

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YxWIr0PbO8"]Innate Chrome Paint with their protective clear coat - YouTube[/ame]

Innate Chrome with 2k Urethane Clear coat(after the protective clear was dry) I will be polishing it out on monday I know it can get better

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a31QDFBnNKE"]Innate Chrome with 2k Urethane Clear Coat applied after - YouTube[/ame]

this is what they suggest.

1.black glossy cured based(which I did)
2.mist coat the chrome paint untill you like whatyou see.
3. allow 24 hours to cure and then buff the surface with polishing towell
4. 2 light coats of their protective clear and allow 24 hours to cure
5. its up to you if you want to clear coat it with 2k urethane or not.

one thing to keep in mind guys, the Alsa Stretch chrome its really hard to stretch and its difficult to get it in round places.

so far even witht he orange peal(after 2k Clear coat) I like how Innate Chrome it looks. I know it can only get better. but if you had to ask me which on I like the best between the Best Chrome Paint vs Spray On Chrome for small to medium pieces. I would say Spray On Chrome can be made to look better and its actually much cheaper(if you compared their total coverage per dollar paid), both are as hard to get right. they both have a steep learning curve, and you need to get all of the stages correct(prep, basecoat, chrome coat, top coat) if you don´t get one of the stages right you will see it.

I now I´ll be using both products in the future, they both have their own niche

I´ll be using Innate chrome paint again, I´ll be repairing an old rear view mirror for a customer.. will be posting pics of the finished part

RearViewMirror1.jpg

RearViewMirror2.jpg

stay tunned..

same pice after prep..

RearViewPrep2.jpg

RearViewPrep1.jpg

after black glossy basecoat(to be ready for Innate Chrome Paint)

RearViewBase1.jpg

RearViewBase2.jpg

I think by Saturday I will have update pics..

That's great! Thanks for posting these threads.
It gives us all some good ideas.

Keep up the good work. It's appreciated.

ok, on the last mirror you did, did you clear the glossy black, and then add the Innate Chrome, or did you shoot it right over the base color?

thanks

ok, on the last mirror you did, did you clear the glossy black, and then add the Innate Chrome, or did you shoot it right over the base color?

thanks
which mirror? the round one or the square one? because the Square one its not chrome painted yet, eve if it looks like a shiny black mirror..

this is how chrome paint should go about ok..

1. Prep
2. Glossy black base(single stage black 2k urethane) cure for 24 hours
3. Innate Chrome paint, high presure(about 60 psi) very little chrome paint. 24 hour cure time

4. polish the chrome surface with ploshing cloth(included in the kit)
5. MotoClear(included in the innate kit) let it cure for 24 hours
6. apply 2k Urethane clear if its going to be in the ouside.

let me see if I do a video of how I apply the chrome paint

-
Back