Also in 1976.

-

RSie

Idiot In Training
Reaction score
Damn, I remember walking for blocks pushing a mower and knocking on doors, lol.
Did the same with snow shovel over my shoulder.

GoFundMe.jpg

That's the same account I had in the late sixties!
And my friend suggestions went like: Why don't you check with Mrs. Somename next time it snows? I told her about you at bridge.

Back in the early 80s, when I was 13-17yrs old, I was cutting 3 lawns with a push mower, had a small paper route and had a part time fast food job at the same time. I had more money than all of my friends.

I had a conversation about a decade ago with my nephew, he wanted to know if I wanted to pay him to mow the lawn
I asked him what kind of a lawnmower he had
He said he figured he could use mine
So I asked him if he had a gascan to fill it up, and he said, I figured you have gas in it

So hold on, I said
You want to mow my lawn, with my mower, and my gas, and you expect me to pay for it?

Yeah, that was the end of that

I had a conversation about a decade ago with my nephew, he wanted to know if I wanted to pay him to mow the lawn
I asked him what kind of a lawnmower he had
He said he figured he could use mine
So I asked him if he had a gascan to fill it up, and he said, I figured you have gas in it

So hold on, I said
You want to mow my lawn, with my mower, and my gas, and you expect me to pay for it?

Yeah, that was the end of that
Typical today. You'd probably land up finishing it too.

Last edited:
What's the deal with that mower?

Does it have a wide roller for a rear wheel?

I mowed 2-3 lawns but the people would be on for a couple weeks then off, and then back on.

A kid around the corner got a lawn mowing business given to him by his grandfather. He paid $8 an hour for labor help, which was decent money for a teenager in the mid 80's.

Buddy’s 2 nephews would sneak around at night fertilizing neighbour’s lawns. They made good money that year.

A friend of ours has a young son who bought a lawnmower at a garage sale last spring for $5. He went to a local hardware store and bought a replacement wheel to make it functional. Then he went door to door looking for lawn mowing jobs. He mowed several lawns for a few weeks. Then one day police showed up at his Mom's door asking if he was mowing lawns. When she said he was they wrote her a warning for allowing a person under the age of 16 to work operating power machinery. They also explained that he was not allowed to go door to door searching for work. They left her a Department of Labor brochure which defines which jobs can be done by minors and told her if he mowed again she would be cited. The boy thinks one of the area lawn services turned him in as they stopped and asked him some questions one day. What has happened to our world!?

What has happened to our world!?
i bet those cops felt like big men that day
Indeed.

My neighbors kids, three of them, each in turn as they grew tall enough to reach the handle and push, mowed his lawn. It was very scary to see those kids reaching UP to the handle. They all lived and nobody got hurt. As far as I know, they got paid by free room and board. They're a good bunch, I'd be proud to call my own.

They also explained that he was not allowed to go door to door searching for work.

I wished I kept all the flyers, brochures, fact sheets and other unwanted crap those worthless lawn companies have left on my doorstep just in the last few weeks. I’d take them to the police station and ask them to visit these companies and ask them to not go door to door searching for work and littering in the process. Stories like that really tick me off! I’d hire that kid in a second over one of those “illegal-hiring” lawn company rapists that want $100 to cut my lawn once and only mash it down so they can come back next week and charge me again!!

A friend of ours has a young son who bought a lawnmower at a garage sale last spring for $5. He went to a local hardware store and bought a replacement wheel to make it functional. Then he went door to door looking for lawn mowing jobs. He mowed several lawns for a few weeks. Then one day police showed up at his Mom's door asking if he was mowing lawns. When she said he was they wrote her a warning for allowing a person under the age of 16 to work operating power machinery. They also explained that he was not allowed to go door to door searching for work. They left her a Department of Labor brochure which defines which jobs can be done by minors and told her if he mowed again she would be cited. The boy thinks one of the area lawn services turned him in as they stopped and asked him some questions one day. What has happened to our world!?
Yeah, it's a different world today. People are sue-happy.. kid is mowing someone's lawn, throws a rock and hits a car.. you know damn well the driver's gonna sue the homeowner. People just don't work things out between themselves anymore.. looking for a big-buck lawsuit.

I remember my mom telling me a story from when she was a kid in the late 30's. A couple of my uncles bought and old Model A from the farmer next door that was laying in his field. They got it running on a few cylinders.
The train tracks ran through their property,and it was about 5 miles to town. They messed with it to fit the tracks on bare rims, and had kids from the surrounding farms pay a nickel for a ride to town. Guess they got pretty good at lifting that stripped down Model A off the tracks in a hurry when a train came along. If a kid did that today the parents would probably face huge fines and or jail time, and probably have their kids taken away.

-
Back