Altenator and power steering pump options- oh, also water pump

-

Cruisingram

Reaction score
My power steering pump, alternator are looking a bit long in the tooth, a bit rustier than I like, lots of years of sitting in Hawaii temp and heat. I don't' want to get stranded, and I am taking the 170 out this week and putting in the 225. I been searching the old interwebs, but I would like to know what most folks like here in their accessories in this area.

I am not looking for chrome, do like the blacked out look, but not wanting to pay a lot for this muffler!

I think I may also replace the water pump while at it. Might as well be fresh as possible when it's all back in.

Suggestions, vendors etc? Pics are nice if have!

My power steering pump, alternator are looking a bit long in the tooth, a bit rustier than I like, lots of years of sitting in Hawaii temp and heat. I don't' want to get stranded, and I am taking the 170 out this week and putting in the 225. I been searching the old interwebs, but I would like to know what most folks like here in their accessories in this area.

I am not looking for chrome, do like the blacked out look, but not wanting to pay a lot for this muffler!

I think I may also replace the water pump while at it. Might as well be fresh as possible when it's all back in.

Suggestions, vendors etc? Pics are nice if have!
Changing out functioning components is one of those dammed if you do and dammed if you don’t deals.
If they have lots of use and miles on them probably a good idea, keep the existing parts around for spares.
When changing out those kind of oe parts I typically compare prices and warranty between RockAuto, NAPA and Autozone. With RA include shipping in the price. I tend to buy new instead of re manufactured when there is a choice.
Some of the AZ Duralast parts have a lifetime warranty. I have a Duralast AZ power steering pump in the 83 D150 and after 9 years and nearly 50,000 miles it developed a very slight leak. Just an occasional drop on the garage floor. I had to do the labor but they replaced the part without any hassle.
So shop around, compare prices, if you plan to keep the vehicle, buy the part with the longest warranty.
On the PS pump, while you are there I would also change out the hoses.

I have a stock parts store water pump one on Vixen. 20 some bucks. Same with alternator. She has manual steering.

So I think I am getting the OE pump from Rock Auto, as well as a new water pump. the power steering pump is the only thing I Haven't nailed down yet. I am almost considering putting a manual steering box on it instead. Anyone here convert back to manual steering from power steering before? I have done it on my race cars for obvious reasons.

So I think I am getting the OE pump from Rock Auto, as well as a new water pump. the power steering pump is the only thing I Haven't nailed down yet. I am almost considering putting a manual steering box on it instead. Anyone here convert back to manual steering from power steering before? I have done it on my race cars for obvious reasons.
I changed from power to manual steering on the 68 Barracuda.
Today you can buy a 100% new manual steering box from companies like PST with choices of steering ratio, you will also need an extension/adapter for the steering column,
Search here at FABO you will find many posts.
You should consider rebuilding the steering column, on a scale of 1 easy to 10 really hard about a 5 or 6 job. The plus is those 50 year old bearing need renewal. Again do a search here at FABO and your dreams will come true. If not put up a post and someone will help.

Ideal might be the brackets from a 1978 Volare slant. That allows a modern Sanden AC compressor and Saginaw p.s. pump. The later is more efficient and came in Chevy's, so aftermarket choices. You can buy blingy Sandens. Insure you put a gasket on both sides of the steel plate of the water pump. I haven't read of better water pumps.

The thread below gives most AC compressor options for a slant six engine. Photos of my Volare brackets and another's. Someone mentions an Aspen slant. Chrysler kept using the RV2 beast for years, eventually switching to the smaller C-180 swash-plate compressor, with some Sanden's in the mix (best choice). Although I have my Sanden mounted on the p.s. boss, I'm keeping my Volare brackets in case I ever switch my 1964 Valiant to power steering. Would also be nice if narrower batteries come out (Li or such) which are slowly making their way into cars (pricey option), as the Volare brackets come very close to the battery in the narrower early A bodies.
Air conditioning options?
Early Slant Six A/C Success

Aspen and volare of a given year should be identical

-
Back