Alterkation Tire size question

-

Relax360

Reaction score
Well i am almost finished with my 67 Barracuda build. There is one detail keeps bugging me.

I am running 15 inch Halibrand wheels on the car and the front tires are rather skinny. By skinny i mean 165s. While this is nice for drag racing it acutally scares me a little bit for regular driving.

I have been told the problem is wider tires will hit the front lip of the fender. though i think i could go with a slightly lower profile tire and be ok. Hell a 195 50R15 would maek me feel better.

So is anyone else running an alterkation with 15 inch rims?

if you are how wide are your tires?

Also please don't tell me to run larger rims.

Need some feedback here for piece of mind

Tall tires or incorrect wheel offset will get your tire into the fender lip.

You could go with a much wider tire unless you have other limiting factors, like fender-well headers, 3" wide wheels or whatever.

i had a 165-15 on my dart for a while, they were a radial though. i was really surprised as to how well it actually handled. friends couldn't believe i could keep up with them in the turns..lol. its a lot better now though with the 17"s..

was just talking about this with bill yesterday. thinking about putting an alter-k in jamies 70 dart and she wants to keep the body color steel wheels and the red line dog dishes. unless i can fine someone to make me what i want in a 17: wheel i'll have to go with a 15" wheel... you can run a 15x6 wheel on the alter-k but it can only have 3 3/4 backspace. with a 6 inch rim you should be able to use something like say a 90 mustang used for tires...

your best bet is to call bill and get his opinion on tire size. he will know.. he has had customers use all different wheel/tire combos over the years..

DSC09363.JPG

thanks for the replys doubled checked the rims at the shop today thought they were wider turns out I have 15x4.5 rims backspacing is only 2.125. I have a whole extra inch of backspacing i could use up. Trying to find a 15x5.5 or 15x6 rim to test stuff out on.

-
Back