Alterktion front suspension, wheel size ?

-

roanman5312

Reaction score
67 Barracuda with the Alterktion suspension. It seems like the spindles are to far outboard, having a heck of a time on rim selection. To much offset and the tire / wheel hits the tie rod end, to little and the tire rubs the fender. Anybody running this setup. ??

67 Barracuda with the Alterktion suspension. It seems like the spindles are to far outboard, having a heck of a time on rim selection. To much offset and the tire / wheel hits the tie rod end, to little and the tire rubs the fender. Anybody running this setup. ??
RMS lists their recommended rim sizes in their instructions if I recall. What size rim are you trying to run

RMS lists their recommended rim sizes in their instructions if I recall. What size rim are you trying to run

Well I tried the 17X8 Ralley Wheel from YO which clears the tie rod but tire rubs the fender turning. Went down to a stock 15X7 steel wheel but it contacts the tie rod.

Well I tried the 17X8 Ralley Wheel from YO which clears the tie rod but tire rubs the fender turning. Went down to a stock 15X7 steel wheel but it contacts the tie rod.
what size tires?

I have a fix......at least it worked on a 68 big block 'Cuda with RMS front end.

HDK upper shock mount and support hoops were utilized along with shortening / cutting 1" out all four control arms. Also was able to go to a 12" spring / shock combo which (IMO) smooths out the ride.

looked good too.

I have a fix......at least it worked on a 68 big block 'Cuda with RMS front end.

HDK upper shock mount and support hoops were utilized along with shortening / cutting 1" out all four control arms. Also was able to go to a 12" spring / shock combo which (IMO) smooths out the ride.

looked good too.
not a bad idea and a good suggestion (agree about the 12 inch spring) but man, i can't imagine cutting up a 5,000 dollar suspension and rewelding it. I'm sure it'd work just fine but dang that's a lot of money to cut.

He was tired of catching his fenders....and wanted a bigger front tire. He also did not care for the way the car looked with the wheel's sticking out. (his words....not mine)

He bought the entire HDK package and was planning on swapping it out, only to have his high $$$ big block custom headers hit the HDK LCAs. ( the HDK LCA's are slightly wider) HDK then supplied him with replacement components to complete his original package which he has planned for another A body.

it was a win-win for both of us. He got what he wanted without spending a ton of $$$ and I helped a fellow Mopar hot rodder solve a problem.

He was tired of catching his fenders....and wanted a bigger front tire. He also did not care for the way the car looked with the wheel's sticking out. (his words....not mine)

He bought the entire HDK package and was planning on swapping it out, only to have his high $$$ big block custom headers hit the HDK LCAs. ( the HDK LCA's are slightly wider) HDK then supplied him with replacement components to complete his original package which he has planned for another A body.

it was a win-win for both of us. He got what he wanted without spending a ton of $$$ and I helped a fellow Mopar hot rodder solve a problem.
that's awesome. :thumbsup:

The mustang wheel sets seem to be the rage for the alter k...front end is way wide.

15" you could get away with around 3.5" of back space on a 6" wheel, it is really a better front end for 17" or larger wheels with 5.75" or more backspace.
When I move my car on the spare 15" shop wheels I pull off the rotor and put the wheel on the hubs backwards so they clear the upper A arms.

looked good too.

Do you think the 12" spring and shock mount mod would work while leaving the control arms the same length?

not trying to turn this thread into a brand debate but im curious, anyone know the track width of the Alterkation? I know denny's is around 58 inches if i remember right, I know the GTS from Gerst is 57.75. I know 285s are possible on 18s with the GTS,

mission complete, 285s up front on my Dart

Denny, what tires/rims can be run on yours?

RMS website has these rim sizes posted with the backspace needed not sure if this helps

The following numbers allow approx. 1/4" of clearance between the rim and tie rod end... 14" rim - 3.25" backspace maximum 15" rim - 3.25" backspace maximum 17" rim – 5.75" backspace maximum 18"+ rim – 6”+ backspace Note - a 17" rim clears the tie rod end entirely, however with more than 5.75" backspacing, the rim may hit the tie rod at full lock in either direction. If wider 17" rims are needed, an adjustable stop may be welded to the lower a-arm to limit turning radius. These figures are based on suspension clearance only. There’s no guarantee that a wider 17" rim, or the tires, will clear the frame rails or other parts of the car. Large wheels and tires typically require clearancing in other areas as well, and it is the owner’s responsibility to determine the requirements of his/her particular situation. As always, we're always happy to help or answer any questions you might have.

Do you think the 12" spring and shock mount mod would work while leaving the control arms the same length?

I don't see any reason why not. Depending on tire size and desired ride height, you might even be able to go a step longer.

He simply knocked the shock mount brackets off the K and bolted the rest in. If it were me.....I would install threaded tubing ends / adapters to the control arms and add heims or poly ends to make them adjustable.....but that's me. I like the ability to change and adjust some things.

My guess is you have an early RMS suspension, they were indeed much wider, 1 1/2" I do believe, this was done to accommodate air ride, which put the hub to hub measurement at 61" if you contact rms, you can send your a-arms to them, and their shorten them up for you, and you'll end up with a hub to hub at about 58 1/2", that will fix you up just fine.

Not sure if this helps with your particular situation, but I'm running an Alterktion on my 67 Dart with 17" x 8" rims with 5.68" backspacing and 245/45R17 tires.

-
Back