Alternator body 'warm' motor not started

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
Hello,
I did the Denso alternator swap using a pull a part alternator some time ago into the '68 Barracuda. Using an external mopar VR....

Currently the '68 is a drag race only car and I have it set up with a remote battery and a electrical master kill switch. The kill switch is wired with one of the alternator field wires and does shut down the engine when it is switched off.

Yesterday I was getting ready to start the Barracuda, moved the kill switch to on, got in to start the car, but remembered something that I wanted to check under the hood,
As I was finishing up, maybe 20 minutes later I put my hand on the alternator body,, it was not hot, but certainly was warn,, not much, but warm..

The car started normally, I checked voltage at the battery with the motor idling,, was 14.5 V,

So why did the alternator warm up with the motor off ? Anything to look into or is that the effect of the alternator field wire being connected directly to the battery ?

thanks

Normal two field wire alt when ign is on sends voltage through the alt. sounds normal to me.

............The kill switch is wired with one of the alternator field wires and does shut down the engine when it is switched off.

................. Anything to look into or is that the effect of the alternator field wire being connected directly to the battery ?

thanks

Are you saying the field is NOT routed through the key as well as the disconnect? If this is true, then the heat is "normal" for the way it's wired, but the field should ALSO be wired through the key. In other words From key (or ignition toggle).........back through disconnect.......back up front........to blue field wire

Hello,
I did the Denso alternator swap using a pull a part alternator some time ago into the '68 Barracuda. Using an external mopar VR....

Currently the '68 is a drag race only car and I have it set up with a remote battery and a electrical master kill switch. The kill switch is wired with one of the alternator field wires and does shut down the engine when it is switched off.

Yesterday I was getting ready to start the Barracuda, moved the kill switch to on, got in to start the car, but remembered something that I wanted to check under the hood,
As I was finishing up, maybe 20 minutes later I put my hand on the alternator body,, it was not hot, but certainly was warn,, not much, but warm..

The car started normally, I checked voltage at the battery with the motor idling,, was 14.5 V,

So why did the alternator warm up with the motor off ? Anything to look into or is that the effect of the alternator field wire being connected directly to the battery ?

thanks
Pretty much, Yeppers! If the wire from the batt.+ goes directly to the normally Blue regulated V position on the alt brush term., & the field control normally green out
brush terminal is going to the regulator, it will be grounding the rotor windings as long as the V set-point has not been reached.....which it won't if it ain't runnin'!!

Pretty much, Yeppers! If the wire from the batt.+ goes directly to the normally Blue regulated V position on the alt brush term., & the field control normally green out
brush terminal is going to the regulator, it will be grounding the rotor windings as long as the V set-point has not been reached.....which it won't if it ain't runnin'!!
Thanks

-
Back