Alternator Bracket Location

-

CudaNewb

Reaction score
I can't seem to remember exactly how my alternator was mounted to my 318 before I took it apart! If anyone has a pic I would appreciate it.

Thanks goody, I figured it out! The other bracket that I was missing was on the a/c compressor which I am not using. I suppose i'll have to fab a new bracket. I also realized that I am going to have some issues with my belts. I removed the p/s pump and the smog pump as well as the a/c, so now I have no way to put tension on the fan belt. Any ideas?

It depends on your year car.

Ideally what you want is the correct set up for your year car with a small block. You need the waterpump and crank pulleys; and the alternator brackets and spacers from a NON AC car.

You should be able to use a stock belt length.

Keep in mind if you try to find used oem parts you'll likely only find dual groove crank pulleys - but these will work fine, just use the correct groove which will be the first groove moving from front to rear, the singles are probably rare as hens teeth. You could buy reproductions of all of these parts as well for $.

The water pump pulley is unique to non ac cars as well, they are larger in diameter and the back spacing is different.

Now, my last comment - did you install a NON ac water pump ? This is critical. The non ac water pump pulley is larger in diameter - it slows the pump speed, however the impeller in the non ac pump is larger in diameter than the AC pump impeller and pulley. Important for proper cooling. Dont mix and match these - you'll have an overheating problem.

Happy hunting!

Nevermind, I decided to take a little initiative and do a search, to my surprise there were about a hundred threads about it.

66dartgt said:
Now, my last comment - did you install a NON ac water pump ? This is critical. The non ac water pump pulley is larger in diameter - it slows the pump speed, however the impeller in the non ac pump is larger in diameter than the AC pump impeller and pulley. Important for proper cooling. Dont mix and match these - you'll have an overheating problem.

Happy hunting!
Thanks for the advice, not only did I not know that, it also wasn't mentioned in the threads that I had read. So I guess my laziness did pay off after all! :lol:

-
Back