alternator for 65 dodge dart

-

moucri

Reaction score
Hi.

Recently the alternator on my car died (I had it tested to make sure), so I'm looking for a replacement. The problem is, I don't know what amp alternator to get. The only things in my car that I currently use (or that work) are the ignition, wipers, headlights, dash gauges & lights. I read online somewhere that if the wiring in my car hasn't been upgraded (which I highly doubt it has), I should only get a 35 amp alternator. Is this correct? I can't tell what the old alternator was because the numbers have are worn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It really doesn't matter, kinda

Alternators do not need to be "matched" to the regulator the way old generators did, but

A great big alternator may strain the bulkhead connector/ ammeter connections. The big problem with parts store rebuilds are that you don't really know WHAT you get.

If you get a "rebuilt" I'd get a post 70, and ground the extra field connector. That way if you decide to upgrade to a '70 regulator later on, you already have half the battle.

You're safe if you keep it below 50 amps; higher than that and the existing wiring will not tolerate it. Do not get a "remanufactured" alternator from a parts store; they're junk. You can get a brand-new Chrysler 46-amp alternator from Old Car Parts Northwest, 206-300-1083. Guy's name is Ray; tell him Dan Stern sent you. The ones he has are '70-up type with two field terminals; these are easily adaptable to your '65 -- all you have to do is connect either of the two field terminals to ground and connect your car's one and only field wire to the alternator's other field terminal.

Get a good new voltage regulator, Standard VR-128 or NAPA Echlin VR-1001. Run a ground wire, 14-gauge, from the "GRD" hole on the back of the alternator to the voltage regulator base and from there to the battery negative terminal.

See here for charging system/wiring upgrade info.

Thank you both! I really appreciate the help.

.tausha

-
Back