Alternator for my drag car

-
i have this single wire alt on my street /strip Dart. Works perfectly.
Went couple years without ever charging my battery, even going rounds and running electric fan and waterpump between rounds. It gets it done at idle, and above. Nice piece. Tidy in engine compartment
What are the specs at idle?

i have this single wire alt on my street /strip Dart. Works perfectly.
Went couple years without ever charging my battery, even going rounds and running electric fan and waterpump between rounds. It gets it done at idle, and above. Nice piece. Tidy in engine compartment
This topic is actually quite cut and dry and easily figured out with facts and data.......a person first needs to calculate his electrical load that he has on his race car or street/strip car and once that is figured out then at that point a proper alternator can be chosen and also at that point a lot of potential choices will be eliminated.

This topic is actually quite cut and dry and easily figured out with facts and data.......a person first needs to calculate his electrical load that he has on his race car or street/strip car and once that is figured out then at that point a proper alternator can be chosen and also at that point a lot of potential choices will be eliminated.

agreed. I know my alternator puts out plenty of juice( at idle) to run a 20+ amp fan, 7 amp water pump, electric fuel pump, etc, etc. an alternator will only put out the amps that are required, not more. For instance, my car at the track is only not idling except in the water box and going down the track. Yet it maintains the battery perfectly. Frankly, that is exactly what it is supposed to do, so I am happy I made the right purchase.
I think some people may not understand exactly what an alternator does.

I have the Powermaster #75191 1-wire alternator on the avatar car. 2 electric fans switched separately for the radiator and a separate trans cooler fan switched by itself. With the battery in the trunk, all 3 fans running, fuel pump obviously running, headlights on, foot on brake, etc, I think I've seen as low as 12.5v on my voltmeter gauge. The alternator came with a test record for it...it showed 82 amps at idle...just don't recall what "idle" means. I'm sure a call to their tech line would answer this quickly as I know I spoke with them a couple years ago and they were quite helpful.

Nothing wrong with OEM but I installed a 60 amp Denso in my Modified Hardtop not running electric fans and stuff. They do make a 120 amp but as stated don't just throw that in a stock set up or things my fry. My Ragtop I keep looking kinda Original.
120 AMP 14668 Alternator Toyota Pickup 4Runner 22R 2.4L High Output Performance | eBay

D1.jpeg

D2.jpeg

I'm just askin, so don't kill the messenger, but what's wrong with the factory Chrysler alternator? They're pretty compact and lasted fifty plus years.
Building a racecar so I'm simplifying my wiring & no factory ignition will be used.
Messenger unscathed lol

I was looking at my wife's tiny alternator on her Toyota, maybe I'll put a factory Mopar alternator on her car and take hers lol

@RustyRatRod

The old school chrysler case alternators work just fine, just not the ones that were installed OEM. They just don't have the output at idle. If they are rewound to increase idle output, then put one on.

I run the 85-90 amp denso alternators. They are 3 wire, work fine and put out adequate juice for my stuff. Single wire, put a decent size cable on it, because that single wire does all sensing of load as well.

sdLxaXw.jpg

I still run a 35.00 piece of Chevy junk on mine that I picked up off a table at Norwalk. I did buy a nice pretty small one off Egag and even paid a little more for the higher output one. When I had it tested at my local alternator starter rebuild shop he told me the guy lied. The pile of crud seller on Egag tried to buy my silence but that didn’t work out well for him.

Nothing wrong with OEM but I installed a 60 amp Denso in my Modified Hardtop not running electric fans and stuff. They do make a 120 amp but as stated don't just throw that in a stock set up or things my fry. My Ragtop I keep looking kinda Original.
120 AMP 14668 Alternator Toyota Pickup 4Runner 22R 2.4L High Output Performance | eBay

View attachment 1715933314

View attachment 1715933315
Why would it fry? They only output what is necessary as sensed by load

All I know is, I upgraded to the later square back from the round back on my Valiant and it charges great at idle. Course I don't have hurricane lectric fans on my slant 6 either. lol

Rusty I agree. Don't quote me because I may be wrong, I think square backs are 74 amp

If anyone has an amp recommendation for a dedicated drag car, I'll have a fuel pump, electric fan, brake lights, headlights, msd ignition, gauges So I think it's pretty basic.
I guess I'd better just add up the draw on those parts and add some amps to be safe

Find the slope chart and find something that puts out 35 amps at 1700-2000 alternator RPM's.

Get the drive ratio correct and you are probably OK.

I run a Powermaster 8060 CS121 on my Dart. It charges 60 amps at idle, 70 at cruise and 75 at WOT, according to Powermaster. I will say Powermaster are great folks to deal with.

Powermaster 8060: CS121 Straight Mount 6.14" Alternator 75 Amp - JEGS High Performance

With my current set up the battery is in the trunk so there is a #4 wire ran directly from the alternator to a disconnect in the trunk. Before I moved the battery all I did was ran a #4 from the alternator to the positive post on the starter relay. I left the factory wires to the amp meter as they were.

BTW, no more dim lights or slow blinkers at idle.

Last edited:
Never ran another manufactures alternator but I do run Jones Racing alternators and they are badass and charge a pile at idle which most other "race" type alternators don't do very well.
For you guys using the Jones alternator, are you using their bracket as well?

AAC93A81-2991-4BF5-8E00-A67B0AB37E04.png

I still run a 35.00 piece of Chevy junk on mine that I picked up off a table at Norwalk. I did buy a nice pretty small one off Egag and even paid a little more for the higher output one. When I had it tested at my local alternator starter rebuild shop he told me the guy lied. The pile of crud seller on Egag tried to buy my silence but that didn’t work out well for him.
SIC' Em!

-
Back