alternator interchange???

-

rigrunner

rigrunner
Reaction score
my alternator in my 73 valiant is toast and the local pull a part has a lot of older mopar vehicles. does anyone know if and what other makes and models may be a direct swap. going in that direction this weekend thought for 13 bucks i would see what i can get. thanks

The only ones that are an absolute drop in direct replacement is a 70 or later Mopar alternator, preferably the "square back" design with the newer rectifier:

These came all the way from 40 some odd amps to 60 or a little more, and all will work. Generally, some "rebuilds" come with dual pulleys, and if you don't mind the sight of an empty pulley, you can just use the pulley groove that lines up

so called "square back"

"Round back" design. This one shows a grounded brush, so it's a 69/ earlier which you cannot use. Must have both brushes "isolated" properly called "isolated field" and improperly called "dual field." That is, the "round back" were used in isolated field for a few years 70/ later, until the better square back came out.

2e3micw.jpg

Next time your square-back alternator fails, look for the diodes thru the rear window. The inner ones that "hang in the air" on the long bar would vaporize on my 82 Aries every 1-2 years, almost like clockwork. I got smart and started buying just the diodes and learned to take the alternator apart underneath the AC compressor so I didn't have to pull it off. By cutting slots in that bar with a bandsaw, I got them to last 3 years (better cooling). I haven't heard of them failing on Darts, so maybe the transverse orientation was the problem. I put a squareback in my 65 Dart, so I will soon gain personal experience.

Dern Bill, jus' how big'ha stereo did you HAVE in that Aries??

That Aries had a simple department store stereo. Electronic carburetor, Mopar "spark computer", AC clutch, main load was the electric fan. I don't think just me since I got replacement diodes at an auto electric shop and the guy said those failed a lot on the then current Mopars. I suspect due to poorer cooling in the transverse layout. They even failed in the winter. Haven't heard people on FABO fuss about the square-backs, so maybe no problems there.

-
Back