Alternator mounting with Moroso electric water pump kit

-

Timmy's Toy

Reaction score
Anyone running an alternator with an electric Moroso belt driven water pump kit? I have a 68 Dart race car with a 360 LA motor. I've been running no alternator for 14 years of racing, charging battery between rounds with no problem. However I've decided to add an alternator to speed up process between rounds. I'm concerned that I won't be able to find an adequate mount that will be stable enough to keep the belt on at high rpm. I shift at 6600 and pull through the traps right at 7000 rpm.

Thanks!

I had a switch on my field wire and turned it off during the run and turned it on after the traps it kept the battery at full charge and gave me all the power to the wheels and not to the alt during the run. I shifted at 7600 and never lost a belt.

When I ran an electric water pump I had to put a smaller Drive pulley on so like you're saying at high RPMs it wouldn't fly off...

I use the Moroso water pump drive (coming off the driver side of my engine, mounted to the driver side water pump bolts) and my alternator is in the standard location (passenger side). Works fine for me....but I have had the same issues with keeping belts on. When I run 1/8 mile the belt hangs on no problem (shifting at 6500), but when I run 1/4 mile I cross the stripe at about 7200 and I tend to lose the belt.

Edit: Car is a 67 Barracuda if that helps.

on my 72 Dart I use a front motor plate. I have the moroso kit mounted using the passenger side water pump bolts, and the alternator mounted directly to the motor plate on the driver side. I installed a crank pulley extension from KRC with a small pulley. I had to use spacers and longer bolts to get everything to line up. I haven't had any issue with the belt coming off, I shift at 6500 and in the quarter go through the traps at around 7100. This is a picture that shows a partial of how mine is set up. I'll try to post a better picture.
Dart Eng.jpg

I believe the moroso kit said to mount it to the passenger side of the motor basically where the alternator is. That's what I did and used a gm alternator on the driver side. I just made some brackets out of the factory brackets. I have thrown a few belts due to alignment but have since solved that. They aren't very sturdy and can flex the brackets if I grab the alternator and pull. I'm using the pulley that came with the alternator and stock crank pulley. Car sees 6800-7000 without it being a problem.

I use the Moroso water pump drive (coming off the driver side of my engine, mounted to the driver side water pump bolts) and my alternator is in the standard location (passenger side). Works fine for me....but I have had the same issues with keeping belts on. When I run 1/8 mile the belt hangs on no problem (shifting at 6500), but when I run 1/4 mile I cross the stripe at about 7200 and I tend to lose the belt.

Edit: Car is a 67 Barracuda if that helps.
Do me a favor and send me a picture of the mounting of both the alternator and water pump. I'm trying to figure out which mounts to buy, and I really don't want to spend a lot of money if possible!

Guys,
Thanks for all your comments! It looks like I'll figure out a mounting in the normal drivers side area. I'll use a smaller pulley as suggested and will have a cut-off switch for the alternator while racing, which should keep the belt on! Any pictures of your installations would be appreciated. Thanks again; your the best!

I will try to remember to take a pic tonight after work.

In case I forget tonight, I checked and found an OLD pick of my Chevy HHR fan install (7 years ago) which happens to show the bracket...although in the picture the Moroso electric motor is not mounted. At this time in my life I used to swap back and forth between the Moroso water pump unit (used at the track), and the standard crank pulley driven belt (when I would drive all over town). Now a days I just leave it alone with the Moroso unit on.
upload_2020-10-6_13-40-35.png

All 5 360s have the electric motor mounted on the driver side, then use moroso 5 inch crank pulley. Mount the alternator in stock location.

-
Back