alternator question

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
for the first time , my battery went down. I have not had this problem before but I am thinking it may be an alt. problem. I am going to take it and have it checked today. The question is if it is bad, do I go with a 60,78 or 114 amp. replacement. What is necessary and what is overkill. I am thinking 78 amp. but what is needed for a 440 Duster. I don't know what is on it. I think it may be factory in 76. What can you tell me. Thanks,Bill

If your voltage regulator works properly, you can't "overkill". It will only let the alt put out what you need. You need to determine how much amps you need to keep all the accessories in your car running.

I like to put the biggest amp stock looking alt in that I can to be sure that I have enough power to handle the electrical load. It depends on how much electronic accessories you have.

For a 'typical' setup, I would 78 would work fine. I usually upgrade mine to 60 amps.

well, I am not running a lot of acces. I have no fans, pumps or such. Just practically a stock setup. The cost is 54.99 vs. 104.99 for a new one. So I guess I will pull it have it checked and go with a 78 amp if it is bad. if it isn't, I will have to start checking components. I have noticed when the battery went down the other day and I put the charger on it to start the car, the guage on the dash didn't move towards the pos. side when it started. I thought that was strange. every time I start the Dart, the guage goes pos. then drops back. wonder why the difference.

I went down and bought a new alternator and I also picked up a new regulator. These have been on the car for 12 years so I wanted to be sure I have something to start with. I looked at the two alt. side by side. I noticed the new one has a terminal for gnd. The other one didn't. I noticed a thread that andre has about gnd. where does this alt. gnd to. do I need to run a gnd. wire to the firewall from the alt.. I have a gnd. wire running from the firewall to the engine and wouldn't the alt. gnd. through the bracket to the engine. I have ran this car for 12 years like this and have not had a problem. I pulled a Bat. wire and 2 field wires off of the old alt. when I took it off. There was no stud in the gnd. hole on the old one. Is this something new and will the new alt. gnd. through the case to the engine. help is appreciated. Bill

Attachments

• DSC06633 (Copy).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 89
I cannot find anything on the net about this so I am not going to hook anything to this gnd. terminal.

On those style you should not need to fuss with the ground terminal. They should be well grounded through the brackets.

I would NOT go bigger than 60A if you have stock ammeter / bulkhead connector. This is not a hard and fast rule, but consider the "factory."

Even Ma knew the bulkhead / ammeter was a problem "back then." There exists on heavy optional (60-65A) alternators, and I'm talking about "as they were" optional new................what is known as "fleet....taxi wiring". This envolved running additional HEAVIER wire through separate grommets in the bulkhead and to the ammeter. The original bulkhead red wire was essentially abandoned.

Here's the situation you get into on very heavy alternators.................

You have a "normal" car, but you've installed a modern 80A alternator, and, parked somewhere, you left the lights on, parking lights, ran the stereo, whatever, and now the battery is LOW. But you start the car, you leave the event, you are driving home.........in the dark. Maybe you have a car with AC (just sayin). You certainly have the headlights. Maybe, back in the day, you have the heater on. You are playing the "big" stereo, etc. AND ALL THIS TIME the alternator is trying to "catch up" the low battery. The alternator will really be cranking out the amperage. The ammeter is buried to the right.

The result is, this big 80A alternator is "heating up" the bulkhead connectors--------which might already be damaged earlier, --------and the ammeter.

This is why..............this:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

ok, makes sense. the one I bought was exactly the one on it except for the gnd. term. I thought it should have grounded good enough through the brackets but wanted to make sure. Thanks a lot. I have it on.

-
Back