Alternator relocation question

-

440magcars

Reaction score
Hey guys. I put a F2 procharger in my 440 dart and it's mounted on the passenger side. Now I need to relocated the alternator. Anyone know of a kit? Thanks Jeff

Check out some of the turbo build threads. Lots of folks have to move their alternators to the driver's side also. There isn't a kit that I know of. I'm in the same boat, but will probably fab up something which I don't think will be too terribly hard in order to hang the alternator on the drivers side.

Thanks I will try that. I was thinking maybe drilling and tapping the drivers side but before I did that I wanted to check on here. I think I'll call Edlebrock to made sure I can do that First!

I moved my mini alternator on my old Cuda, but my method was pretty barbaric. Absolutely rock solid, though. I carved a chunk out of the upper PS mount on the water pump and used a regular adjustment bracket for support.

Attachments

• alt4 - Copy.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 365
  • alt1 - Copy.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 353
  • alt2 - Copy.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 334
I was thinking maybe drilling and tapping the drivers side

I dont know whether it will matter if the head is able to be drilled and tapped. That side head is farther forward than the passenger side and I highly doubt you would be able to get the pulley lined up without spacing out everything else. That is why I mounted mine up high. Any where lower on the motor and the back of alternator hit the head and was nowhere near lining up.

I dont know whether it will matter if the head is able to be drilled and tapped. That side head is farther forward than the passenger side and I highly doubt you would be able to get the pulley lined up without spacing out everything else. That is why I mounted mine up high. Any where lower on the motor and the back of alternator hit the head and was nowhere near lining up.

I put mine under the motor plate on the pass side, mounts to the plate, w/ a simple small heim end adjustment rod running to the frame. easy, if I can do it u can too.

i trimmed about 1/4" off the back side of the water pump housing,
upper bolt hole

my pulleys set close to the engine> alt, water pump, crank>> no P/S

011_zps9misefcu.jpg

i trimmed about 1/4" off the back side of the water pump housing,
upper bolt hole

my pulleys set close to the engine> alt, water pump, crank>> no P/S

011_zps9misefcu.jpg

HOLY manifolds, batman!!!! THIS was worth the morning glance, LOL

HOLY manifolds, batman!!!! THIS was worth the morning glance, LOL

it needs to breathe, it's the Race engine out of my Satellite > 540

they are 64 max wedge manifolds
It was the only way to get them to fit> With-out Major fire wall surgery.
still had to move the master cylinder over> driver's side 3"

001_zpsodqivmgr.jpg

trying to plan ahead, for a turbo project

and the alternator was in the way, if left on the passenger side.

Made some temporary down tubes, for the exhaust system.

024_zpsef6yrons.jpg

017_zpsj8rb1b4r.jpg

Thanks for the info. I will give that a try. I have to change my radiator to a drivers side upper. So not sure if I can run the hose around the alternator.

-
Back