alternator/voltage regulator advice

-

pedalpowerceo

Reaction score
Okay my 68 dart 318 will run for an hour or so untill the battery dies and needs recharged.

I have a really old crusty alternator with two field connections (one of which I have grounded like I read about in another thread here)

I have an equally old and nasty looking external voltage regulator that probably isn't working.

I want to make the car more reliable and I am trying to make it a daily driver. I am spending a car payment amount of money on it each month to get her fixed up.

I was going to buy a summit single pulley (I don't have a/c) single wire, internally regulated alternator. when I get this thing, I can eliminate the external regulator and run a wire to the battery and be good to go right?

thanks in advance for the advice/opinions.

Buy a new power master dual field replacement with a mopar regulator to match.
If the electrical is questionable of there is a lot of resistance then it doesn't matter what you buy, it'll be working it's arse off till it fails.

yes you can do that but go to madelectrical .com and do their bypass of the bulkhead connector and the ammeter bypass and clean all the other bulkhead connections.

Whatever you decide to do make sure you match the proper regulator with the alternator. As explained above it's detailed well at madelectrical .com.

Buying a internally regulated altenator will probably cost more than trading that crusty old core for a reman'd unit both today and tomarrow. I think the last solid state regulator I bought was 13 dollars at autozone.
I would definately add the 6 foot piece of blue wire to that second field terminal on the squareback altenator. Good luck

I think I will go with a voltage regulator from a late 70's model car (two wire mopar type). a new style connector for it, and a two field alternator... I'll probably stick to a 70 amp... I have no electric fans, just a plain ol' radio, lights, and msd box to run.

I don't want to tempt frying any wiring... I just replaced the wiring harness with a good solid one that has no splices, but is still forty years old. If there was no advantage to an external voltage regulator I was going to do the one wire, because I like keeping the alternator as far away from my harness as possible, but after talking to y'all and reading around some more, I see the LIGHT!

thanks again.

-
Back