alternator wiring conversion

-

Optik

Reaction score
hey everyone,
what do i need to do to convert my 64 darts wiring to run a later-model one wire alternator (square back)??? right now i'm using the original 40 amp /6 alternator on my transplanted 360 and i really need more juice. does the amp gauge need to be eliminated in favor of a voltmeter instead?
finally, is there a place to find wiring diagrams that i can print out?
thanks in advance!
-tim

hey everyone, what do i need to do to convert my 64 darts wiring to run a later-model one wire alternator (square back)??? right now i'm using the original 40 amp /6 alternator on my transplanted 360 and i really need more juice. does the amp gauge need to be eliminated in favor of a voltmeter instead? finally, is there a place to find wiring diagrams that i can print out? thanks in advance! -tim

Tim, to answer your last question first, there are many wiring diagrams for MOPARS at: http://www.mymopar.com/60to65_wiring.htm

The charging system upgrade info I like best is at: http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical.html

The voltage regulator swap and rewire at the end of that article is pretty much unnecessary now, because the old style mechanical voltage regulator replacements on the shelves at the generic autoparts stores are solid-state devices. They're cheaper to make than the copper wound mechanical regulators and have all the advantages of the new style flat pack regulator.
You can use the new style "flat back" alternator with your stock wiring harness and the electronic replacement for the old mechanical regulator by simply grounding one of the field coil connectors (either one).

I suppose you might accidentally find a mechanical regulator at a parts house, but it would need to be a very old one. Electronic ignitions, including the MOPAR Systems do not like mechanical regulators. If there is any doubt about the regulators at a generic parts house, FBO systems has solid state units at a pretty good price, and some good tech info. look here: http://www.4secondsflat.com/regulator_tech.html

Hope that helps.

BC

P.S. That's what I run in the 64ragtop, and it works just fine!

All the best!

BC

I have a 64 Dart GT that i have up dated to the dual field alt by ways of Mopar muscle Magizene[july 02]as for using the new style voltage regulator is up to you just follow the wire colors snip and crimp but the second field comes from SPLICING into the BLUE wire be sure to crimp,solder,and insulatewith heatshrinkfor a "bulletproof"connection.

i did the dual feild conversation several years ago,,,the hardest part was finding the correct plug for the flat regulator on the fire wall,,the conversion makes a big difference at idel,,,also get a good alternator not a discount auto store rebuilt,,,that also makes a BIG difference when running a lot of electrical devices,,,head lites,fule pumps,fans, you need at least 10.5 amps to fire a mopar factory electronic ignition,,, a cheap alternator running a fuel pum and head lits may not fire your ignition,,you will burn up the brain,,

-
Back