Alternator Wiring Upgrade

-

jrcr_15

Reaction score
Hello, was hoping to get some additional information, suggestions and insight.

I recently had an alternator rebuilt and upgraded and now puts out 80 amps

I have read and been told that when upgrading your alternator it is advisable to consider beefing up the wiring system also. My wiring is factory for my 72 340 Duster

The guy who rebuilt it said that he would not change anything in the wiring system and it should be good, but I wanted to get some more opinions from actual mopar enthusiasts / people who might have made these mods. I want to avoid unnecessary heat etc.

Has anyone done this? I am running electric fans, water pump, fuel pump etc, so my electrical needs are quite high.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

I build whole electrical systems for cars at a restoration shop and I can say with electric Fans and fuel pumps it is very wise indeed to re work your electrical system. I usually use at least a 10 gauge wire for my alternators. If the load is heavy I might even use 8 gauge. I also upgrade Battery Cables. I really like to use 1/0 welding cable. It's more flexible and heat resistant.

Hope this helps

DO NOT use your factory wiring "as is" for what you have. At LEAST do the ammeter bypass, inspect and re-work your bulkhead connector. Read the MAD article. Some criticize this but is a good basis

Catalog

Also when you think you have things working, check your battery running/ charging voltage. Warm and with battery normal, it should run 13.8--14.2. If it's much above that, you likely have a voltage drop problem in the field/ regulator circuit, or a ground problem.

-
Back