Alum vs. babbit brgs?

-
Last 2 rebuild kits I purchased came from Northern Auto Parts..look them up on the webb and get their catalog..victor gaskets,name brand stuff,think my bearings were tri-metal clevites and you can upgrade like moly rings etc..had good luck with them and good pricing easy to deal with and good products no probs,fixing to use them again...package deals[kits]

Prob 6 of 1 and half dozen of other...I like the tri[clevite]about any name brand of quality will work am sure there is a few that will chime in with pros and cons....if your talkin old style babitt do they even make those anymore? Not sure I'm following your question here.. be more specific as to brand/app/stock/race/etc

The trial metal bearings,work better long term(Clevite 77,the generic name). The bi-metal stuff,allows more clearances,at a reduced life rate.

Aluminum bearings are generally used with aluminum rods on race engines. Use trimetal on the street/street strip.

Tri metal will absorb abuse and contaminants easier-embedability is better than with Aluminum. Aluminum is better to run with tight clearances and thinner oil, they've been widely used in newer engines for at least 20 years now. Cost, I think, is kind of a wash depending on the app. Aluminum, when used properly and with good clean oil, actually kinda polishes the crank journals, but for most older designed engines, the tri-metals are probably the best/safest/most reliable choice.

Tri metal will absorb abuse and contaminants easier-embedability is better than with Aluminum. Aluminum is better to run with tight clearances and thinner oil, they've been widely used in newer engines for at least 20 years now. Cost, I think, is kind of a wash depending on the app. Aluminum, when used properly and with good clean oil, actually kinda polishes the crank journals, but for most older designed engines, the tri-metals are probably the best/safest/most reliable choice.

while you guys are talking bearings, have you ever heard that a hot 440/505'' wedge must run full grooved bearings? mine are half grooved, came w/ the stroker kit from hughs. was told this week by a mopar builder that you should always run full grooved bearings ina 440. any and all comments appreciated-----bo:coffee2:b

I think the half groove / full groove thing is more of a builders preference.
I always run full groove and open the supplies to the mains 1,2,3,5 9/32 4 to 5/16.
some guys go larger yet. how much and what you do really depends on what oil pump std or hv and what you plan on doing with the engine.

I recall reading something many moons ago that full groove bearings shouldn't be used in racing engines due to increased load on the rest of the bearing surface, but with as many builders' opinions these days, I really have no idea anymore.

Builders preference to Oiling and Load Carrying, always trade offs to the decision....just my thoughts as in "IMO", no wars wanted.
I see no problem with the 1/2 groove Mains below 6K Street Engines, and probably better in that application for long term load carrying, and still plenty of Oil for the Rods.
That said,
I prefer the full groove for the harsher environments as rpm, Compression, and demand for Oil by the Rods increases with Vertical Clrc., Side Clrc.in pairs, etc etc.
But as I have seen in the past....
EITHER will work just fine in both applications, so go figure ?
If you are concerned...call Hughes maybe ?

-
Back