Aluminium block

-
I've even had this thought regarding adding top support to those blocks. Have the very perimeter of the block broached down say, .020". Now come back and broach the cylinder tops down .010". Next, have .010" rings machined out of the head so each cylinder can fit into those .010" rings. I wonder what the head gasket would have to say about that......if anything? Just some crazy thinkin.

Last edited:
I just got an SAE document on the aluminum slant six. I will post some pictures of the casting fixture showing the sleeves in a frame ready to form the aluminum around.

I just got an SAE document on the aluminum slant six. I will post some pictures of the casting fixture showing the sleeves in a frame ready to form the aluminum around.

So then they were made like I was thinking. Basically with the cylinders "glued in" with the aluminum.

Here you go.
Casting Fixtures.JPG

I used to install the wet sleeves in the old tractors back when I worked for an allis chalmers dealer. That was a nice arrangement, sure made rebuilding easy. Never seen wet sleeves on an automotive engine before.
Try all of the Crapillac engines.....
Ain't no TIG'n that mess without cutting the liner all the way out 1st, good luck with a chunk missing, then it's doubtful the leftover Al-U-minimum will take the pressure of a press-fit sleeve without splitting. A one-off wet-sleeve? With no deck, uhh...no. CAN it be saved? Sure. Should it be? Only if Ya got nothin' else to spend Your $$$ on. Soak it in Evaporust, pull the dowels, bead-blast it, Gorilla Glue the chunks back together, put a glass table-top on it & call it a day......

Try all of the Crapillac engines.....
Ain't no TIG'n that mess without cutting the liner all the way out 1st, good luck with a chunk missing, then it's doubtful the leftover Al-U-minimum will take the pressure of a press-fit sleeve without splitting. A one-off wet-sleeve? With no deck, uhh...no. CAN it be saved? Sure. Should it be? Only if Ya got nothin' else to spend Your $$$ on. Soak it in Evaporust, pull the dowels, bead-blast it, Gorilla Glue the chunks back together, put a glass table-top on it & call it a day......

It would honestly make a nice table.

i believe the only gain would be to say you have an aluminum block, its his $$.

Guys!
Thanks for all your efforts and knowledge.
I´ll let this one go,and concentrate on the iron one i got.
Thanks for all! Or as we say "Tack för all hjälp"
Stay tuned and safe!

-
Back